Arizona hunters?

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Any Az. hunters out there have any luck with Jan. Javelina/Mule deer hunts?
I missed three close quarter shots at Javelina in area 37B.Very high winds,
extra dry.Ranchers trucking in water to puny cattle.Lots of yotes.
dirclod Az.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Az Hunter

Dated, but I took a nice mulie out of McDowell Mountain Park (26M) 2years ago with my bow. Not huge but it was a fun hunt.
McDowell mtn. Park? Wow I know years ago my uncle used to pull deer out of the White Tanks.
Don't know off hand how poulated that area is now.Iknow that theres a park there now.
Nature hikes and such.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm headed down in a week for the HAM season in 37b and will be hunting around Tucson Wash.

The last few years it has be drier than a popcorn fart and it doesn't look like any rain in the future. Glad that I know of a few water holes that the animals use besides the cattle water tanks.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
It's very,very dry.Usual water holes near Superior were all dry. Unless sring fed its going to be tough out there.
Lived here for 50+ years and overheated on opening morning despite hydrating well.
Good luck.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The last few years it has been quite dry with all the cattle hanging out at the water tanks and not venturing very far from them. Even last year after all the storms around Christmas and New Years it was dry out there.

The small water holes that we know of are spring fed. They are not big but enough for a animal to get into and get themselves a good drink. One of them we might need to dig some sand out of it to get it flowing but that should be all. But it would be nice to see some good rain storm but looking at the extended forecast I highly doubt that we'll get any.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had a great hunt and actually got home tonight Sunday.

My only problem was that I couldn't hit my rear with both hands. Opening morning I had a herd of 10 running along a ridge. I found them in the next draw over and the closest shot I had was around 150 yards. I shot under that one. I then called in a sow and a young one that was old enough to do without her. I had her at 50 yards and shot under her. The next day I spotted some along a ridge and they disappeared over a saddle. I headed up only to see nothing on the other side. I walked the ridge for a ways without spotting anything and was going to head down into the wash to see if they crossed it but I decided to check a nice draw on the same side of the hill that I spotted them on. 30 yards into the draw I spotted one in the bottom at 20 yards, two other spooked out of there as fast as they could and by the time that I drew my pistol out of the holster the last one was headed up the hill. He would stop but only behind a bush or cactus. I got one shot at him at 75 yards as he was walking broadside and missed.

Then on Friday I was relieving myself when a couple of them spooked out of a bushy draw right under me. I watched as a small herd of 6 of them went over the hill. I went around the draw and started up the hill only to watch them go over the top never to bee seen again. And then on Saturday I jumped a small herd that never even slowed down for me to look at them.

After missing my first 3 shots I thought that my sights were off so Friday I took a dead rest and hit a jack rabbit at 100 yards. So I guess I was me all the time.

On the water situation it was dry for the first 5 days. One of the water holes did have water and another one you could see where they had dug it down a couple of feet to get to the water, it had a small pool in it when we checked it out. But all the cattle were hanging at the tanks and not going very far. Wednesday afternoon it started to drizzle with it continuing into Thursday night. Then Friday it was good weather until about 3pm when we were trying to find that one herd and then it rain until about midnight. It really put down some water from what we saw in the bottom of the draws to the east end of the unit. A friend of ours from Catalina said that drivers were stopped on the highway it was raining so hard that their wipers couldn't keep up with it. But it was a good deserved rain. A lot of hours with just a drizzle to soak the ground real good.

Saturday we even found where a coyote had dug a hole down to get to the water in a wash. It ended up having about a foot of water in that hole.

My partner did git his javilina, mostly by luck but he got one with a 20 yard shot when one popped up out of nowhere as he was stalking into some others. This was on Friday morning after the rains has washed the washes clean of tracks and we could actually track a little.

Overall even if I didn't get one it was a fun hunt. We saw an awful lot of mule deer along with a couple of bucks. But no whitetails in a area that we usually see them, but we hunted that area while it was hotter than normal with very little to no water except for the tanks.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Sounds like a great hunt!Rain always helps no matter how much/little.
Just finished filling out my hunter survey,another no in the did you harvest a pig this season:(
NEXT YEAR!Glad you had a good time.