Angled or Straight?

NM_Archer

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Good morning everyone, I have decided to purchase a Vortex Razor HD spotting scope after reading a lot of the reviews on them. Only thing to do now is decide weather or not to get an angled one or a straight one. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both and what style do you have and why? Any help with decision would be much appreciated. I do most of my hunting in New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming, both in the high country and lower desert terrain. Thanks in advance

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I have angled and would buy straight if I ever buy another spotter. Way more options for comfortable use. You are always above the angled spotter unless you turn it and then you're at an odd angle.

wa-hunter

Apr 24, 2014
i think it is personal preference. i like straight because it is faster for me to locate animals after i see them in binos, and i like to be able to sit up and look though rather than have to bend my neck or back.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
good points, im use to angles, making straight a little diff for me but it would go both ways. if you arent buying online have a sells rep take ya outside and compare the two.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I would take ivorytip's advice and try both options to see what YOU like better. It is really a matter of personal preference. Myself, I like straight scopes. They work better on a window mount and more comfortable when glassing down a mountain or on flat terrain.

My buddy has an angled and I do think it is more comfortable when looking up a mountain.

Bughalli

Jan 15, 2012
I have straight and wish I had angled. Both have pros/cons. Trying them out in a store really doesn't give you a true experience for what you might prefer in the field. I recommend really thinking about when you'll use it and under what conditions.

If you generally glass up mountains, then angled are easier. Simply because you don't need to raise the tripod as far to get a comfortable viewing position/angle....ie avoid cocking your neck back to see up straight glass to see up a mountain. It's more comfortable to use angled, especially if looking for longer periods of time (ie scanning vs looking at something specific). If you generally glass down from a high spot, then straight is easier. Again, a more natural position for aligning your eye with the objective and target area. As for flat land, straight is a little easier.

Couple observations I've made about my hunting habits. Very rarely do I use it on flat land. I mainly use it for elk and mule deer, so lots of up and down viewing....at least in Idaho and Colorado where I've hunted most. Once In awhile I'll antelope hunt, in which case it's flat land and straight is easier. But that is rare. Be sure to understand how you hunt the most, what angles and your preferred viewing posture. Straight often means you need to bring the entire scope up to head level, where angled you don't. This will become obvious when you play with them at viewing angles. If looking up a mountain to glass it almost seems ridiculous with straight spotting scopes how high you need to raise the tripod to see. I don't like raising the tripod that high. More on that in a second. On a steeper slope the downhill side of the tripod might need pretty long legs to be level with your head. I noticed this when glassing cross canyon a few years ago. Just means you need a bigger tripod to be comfortable. I'm surprised how often I can't find level-ish ground and just make due. The angled spotter allows for a shorter tripod and lower stance. A straight spotter, due to the height needed to view, has a higher center of gravity and increases the likeliness of it falling over, especially if uneven terrain or windy conditions, which it often the case. I've caught mine tipping over due to a gust of wind or a numb foot bumping a leg of the tripod after sitting too long. So for me lower is better, more stable. I started hanging a pack under the center of the tripod to add weight and stability, but that's a pain in the butt to deal with....and the damn thing still finds ways to tip.

Also, I've noticed I use mine more looking up a mountain than down. Why? Well in reality spotters weigh a lot. So if I don't think I need it or have a plan to glass, I try to save weight and often won't bring it on a hike. Call it lazy...or 5 days into an elk hunt, chalk it up to leg fatigue. So I don't carry it high in the mountains as often as I expected and gets used for lower viewing angles more often (looking up hill more than down - angled is better in that case). Another observation, most glassing is done at first light. Very little is done mid day and maybe a little at dark. I don't know about you, but most places I hunt I'm starting low and hiking high. Sometimes I hike in the early morning darkness to get high to glass, but more often than not I don't get far enough. That "get to the top before light" attitude only seems to happen the first day or two. Thus, the rest of the time I'm still hiking up and glassing up in the morning. The hikes to the top of the mountains can take hours, so same factor applies with last light. Since it's a long hike down the mountain, I'm not staying high until after dark. So it doesn't get used as much at that time, from a high position.

If you mainly backpack hunted and did spike camp, you might have the opposite opinion. I thought that was me, but that's more the exception than the rule.

So all those factors for me add up to why I like angled better. I'm more often looking up vs down when using it. Angled is more comfortable when doing so. Angled also offers a lower stance, which means a shorter and lighter tripod can be used. The shorter tripod is a more stable platform. Hope this makes sense and gives some food for thought in the evaluation of your purchase.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I think its personal preference and what you are used too. I like straight spotters because they are alot easier for me to find things in. The only advantage I can see to an angled is you can use it on a shorter tripod.

Grantbvfd

Jun 10, 2011
Anderson, CA
Angled is more comfortable to keep your neck in a natural position. It handles digiscoping way easier. You can rest your binos on the top of the eyepiece for really stable glassing. Target acquisition comes really easy after using a few times.

Straight is going to pack down smaller and has easy target acquisition right off the bat

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
i think it would be cool if some of these retailers that sell these things would do a clinic in the hills somewhere with their diff binos and spotters set up on pods for customers to actualy do hands on eye on testing. as was said earlier, in a store or even in a parking lot as i said earlier just doesnt do these things justice. i know id go and participate and would prob be more likely to buy.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
i think it would be cool if some of these retailers that sell these things would do a clinic in the hills somewhere with their diff binos and spotters set up on pods for customers to actualy do hands on eye on testing. as was said earlier, in a store or even in a parking lot as i said earlier just doesnt do these things justice. i know id go and participate and would prob be more likely to buy.
I have been working on doing a program with my website solooutdoor.com where I could send out an item ex. Straight razor spotter. The receiver uses it for a week or two, and then passes it on to whomever is next in line. (Receiver pays shipping, possible c.c deposit?) It would be able to be used on hunts, for people's own evaluations, also to help make the buying process easier. If someone decides they want to keep the item a "used" price tag would then be negotiated and they can keep it. I would then get another item in circulation. Here is the downside. I'm buying a product before sending it out. If some d-bag decides to keep it (w/out paying) I'm out the item, and the money. (For some reason I'm not overly worried about this happening, we're pretty trustworthy folks in this industry. But I may be naive..)

The downside to putting on a clinic (trust me I've debated this more than once) would be first off having a large enough stock of items to give people a good variance of options. And then hoping enough people attend to make it worth your time. Big stores such as bass pro, cabelas, sportsmans warehouse would not (IMO) find this appealing. They want to attract people into the store so they stumble into other shiny objects and fill their cart. I find this option appealing. BUT. Lack the capital of a big chain store to make it happen. It's a catch 22!

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I have been working on doing a program with my website solooutdoor.com where I could send out an item ex. Straight razor spotter. The receiver uses it for a week or two, and then passes it on to whomever is next in line. (Receiver pays shipping, possible c.c deposit?) It would be able to be used on hunts, for people's own evaluations, also to help make the buying process easier. If someone decides they want to keep the item a "used" price tag would then be negotiated and they can keep it. I would then get another item in circulation. Here is the downside. I'm buying a product before sending it out. If some d-bag decides to keep it (w/out paying) I'm out the item, and the money. (For some reason I'm not overly worried about this happening, we're pretty trustworthy folks in this industry. But I may be naive..)

The downside to putting on a clinic (trust me I've debated this more than once) would be first off having a large enough stock of items to give people a good variance of options. And then hoping enough people attend to make it worth your time. Big stores such as bass pro, cabelas, sportsmans warehouse would not (IMO) find this appealing. They want to attract people into the store so they stumble into other shiny objects and fill their cart. I find this option appealing. BUT. Lack the capital of a big chain store to make it happen. It's a catch 22!
Love the thought of what you are talking about here with a "circulating spotter". It does seem like someone could take advantage of this pretty easily. I'm not sure how to combat this, but it would be awesome to keep a spotter, use it, like it, and buy it. I would just be worried someone would "rent" a spotter from you with their deposit, say they didn't like it, and return it. I guess you will just have to weigh the positives and negatives and see if it works out. Maybe a trial version. I know I'm still saving for a spotter and will contact you when I get the change. I'm interested in the straight vs angled since I've always had a straight.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
I've noticed going from straight to angled is pretty easy. But angled back to straight gets tricky. At least for me.

idahobow

Sep 9, 2011
I have the Razor HD in straight and wish i would have gotten the angled for all the reasons mentioned above. However, for using it with a window mount in the truck, the straight is nice.