Alaska travel

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Here's a quick update, for what it's worth.

My usual Fall expedition down the Alcan to Oregon was cut short at the Alaska/Yukon border. Even with a very recent negative Covid test result and my friendliest "good morning smile", we were abruptly turned away as non-essential. It was essential to us though. My thoughts were that I ran into the rudest boarder agent alive but a friend of mine did the same trip yesterday and had a friendly agent, but was refused entry also!

I called the Canadian Travel Authority today and was informed that there is no definition of "essential travel" and the entry authority is 100% that of the agent at the border. No pre-screening, etc. She advised that even a death in the family/funeral would almost always be non-essential.

It's their country and I don't have any gripe with Canada enacting safety measures in this day and time. We all have to be careful.

I do wish Canada could come up with some way of pre-screening, it would have saved me 860 miles of driving, for nothing.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Wow!
Sorry they ruined your trip.
They definitely should publish some pre-screening criteria so people don't have to drive that far just to be turned around.
Thanks, I've always had good contacts with the Canadians, very friendly. This border agent needed more coffee or something. It's a big inconvenience but not the end of the world. Flying out tomorrow.

Reactions: Winchester

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Bob, that’s sucks. So now are you flying down ? Did I tell you Leif & Kellie at Stone Mountain sold to there neighbors Folding Mountain outfitters.

Reactions: AKaviator

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Bob, that’s sucks. So now are you flying down ? Did I tell you Leif & Kellie at Stone Mountain sold to there neighbors Folding Mountain outfitters.
I hadn't heard that about Stone Mountain. That is sure a beautiful place they had, in a beautiful area!
Flying down tomorrow. cow elk hunt on the 7th!

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I hadn't heard that about Stone Mountain. That is sure a beautiful place they had, in a beautiful area!
Flying down tomorrow. cow elk hunt on the 7th!
Bob, it happened fast and the couple that bought are young and now probably have the most Stone sheep tags in BC. Leif and Kelli moved downwards to below Prince George!

Reactions: AKaviator