6 points pronghorn any tips?

exit28nevada

Jul 31, 2013
napa valley
I have 6 bonus points going into Utah draw for 2017,i have been building them for when I get some time to get away for a week.i have more pts for elk,deer,moose,goat,and bison, but not concern yet,as I need more pts for those in future.rifle,bow,or muzzle,DIY non-resident,any tips or ideas would be helpful,thanks.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Hunted my son in 2013 on the SW Desert unit, rifle. Great access and plenty of antelope to choose from. Did not see another hunter. He was done before noon opening day. We found one with a 15 1/2 heavy horn and VG prong that had about a 12" horn with a bulb on the end for the other side. Very unique looking.

My advice is check to see if the winter hurt them from a person familiar with the areas you are considering in late Feb. before applying in early March. Also select your unit and weapon choice carefully, because many take more than 6 points as I recall.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What area are you familiar with and do you have any time to get out scouting this coming summer?

I could give you a few areas but without being able to get out and scout them they would be worthless.

Go onto the Utah DOW web site and take a look at the number of points that it is going to take to draw any or all of the areas that you might be interested in, then figure out if you have enough points to draw this year. 6 NR points are not going to get you into the best units but should be enough for the sub par ones such as the Plateau.

jsc

Sep 25, 2011
I have 6 bonus points going into Utah draw for 2017,i have been building them for when I get some time to get away for a week.i have more pts for elk,deer,moose,goat,and bison, but not concern yet,as I need more pts for those in future.rifle,bow,or muzzle,DIY non-resident,any tips or ideas would be helpful,thanks.
Did you draw an antelope tag? If you drew SW desert I hunted it archery last year and could give you some pointers

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
I hunted the Parker last year, and had a lot of fun. Lots of antelope, but you will need to hike a bit to get to them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
According to the wildlife board meeting they reduced the tag numbers out on the Parker/Plateau for this year and raised them in other units.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
According to the wildlife board meeting they reduced the tag numbers out on the Parker/Plateau for this year and raised them in other units.
I wonder if that means they are going to be doing some round ups and transplanting to other units. I loved that hunt and the area. Has everything. Rolling sage, pines, and quakies. After I shot my antelope I spent the next few days chasing bugels in the quakies.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is hard to say, I haven't seen the population projection lately.

But it didn't sound like they are going to take any off of it this year.

rsess32

Apr 5, 2012
Riverton, Utah
I've hunted for myself and helped with a few buddy's hunts and my brother's hunt on the west dessert river bend unit. In my humble opinion it's the best there is in Utah. There's several good bucks that roam the valleys and junipers. Send a PM if you want some more info on the unit I'd be glad to help out a bit.