.308 Win Light Magnums & Trophy Elk

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
I'll be leaving for my Utah limited entry elk hunt tonight. I have my 7MM Rem Mag dialed in with 160 grain Partitions. I could not get my .270 Win dialed in with 150 grain Partitions. That leaves my CRF Featherweight in .308 Win. What's the prevailing wisdom of using a .308 Win with 165 grain Hornady Light Magnum ammo? I know they work on mule deer. But what about trophy elk?

My guide says he should be able to get me within 200 yards, but I should be ready to shoot to 300 yards. Any farther and I'm going 7MM Rem Mag all the way regardless of how heavy it is.

Thanks.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
we talking a game ranch hunt here?? just take 7mm and leave .308 in truck. .308 would be just fine but if ur committed to 7mm past 300 then just use it. no need to pack extra gun it on a horse.

Last edited:

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
ivorytip,

Public land that required 21 bonus points to draw a tag. It holds monster bulls.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
stevevan,

I've had numerous shoulder surgeries, so many that between scalpel dates & rehab stints, I've lost about 10 years' hunting. At best, I might have 50% strength in my shoulders. So weight is a serious issue.

My Featherweight is extremely light.

I'm not worried about a .308 Win's ability to kill elk. I'm more worried about bullets Hornady used when it manufactured its Light Magnum line. I believe it used Interbond bullets. How would they hold up on heavy bone of huge elk?

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
If the ammo is either the interbond or the interlock then it'd be fine. Just make sure the bullet is built for weight retention and not fast expanding like their SST.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
stevevan,

I've had numerous shoulder surgeries, so many that between scalpel dates & rehab stints, I've lost about 10 years' hunting. At best, I might have 50% strength in my shoulders. So weight is a serious issue.

My Featherweight is extremely light.

I'm not worried about a .308 Win's ability to kill elk. I'm more worried about bullets Hornady used when it manufactured its Light Magnum line. I believe it used Interbond bullets. How would they hold up on heavy bone of huge elk?
SansSouci,

I hunt exclusively with Interbond 165 grain in my 30-06. I have taken elk out well past 300 yards with this setup. The bullets always perform perfectly. Don't stress it at all... Have an amazing hunt. Can't wait to see your pictures and hear the story!

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
ivorytip,

Public land that required 21 bonus points to draw a tag. It holds monster bulls.
Ok then why take a chance using rife that might not have the reach or knock down power? Just take the 7mm and you know it's going
to work long or short range. When I'm shooting at game I never feel or hear the shot and I shoot a 7mm mag.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Hilltop,

I couldn't get my .270 Win dialed in. It might be the scope or it might be that it doesn't like 150 grain Partitions.

I've chrono'd 165 grain .308 Win Light Magnums out of my 22" barreled Featherweight at better than 2900 FPS.

I took it to the range today. 3" high dead center at a 100 yards. What was amazing was the 180 grain Core-Lokts shot darn near to the same zero.

After I sighted it in, I hit a 200 yard metal target that was about 4" diameter: one with a 165 grain Light Mag & one with a 180 grain Core-Lokt.

I think I will make this my primary elk hunting rifle.

BTW, the Light Magnum bullets are Interlock. I'm sure they'll work. They shot about MOA or a little less. Not bad for factory stuff.

If I don't get an elk, I won't be able to blame anything other than poor shooting.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hi Hilltop,

I couldn't get my .270 Win dialed in. It might be the scope or it might be that it doesn't like 150 grain Partitions.

I've chrono'd 165 grain .308 Win Light Magnums out of my 22" barreled Featherweight at better than 2900 FPS.

I took it to the range today. 3" high dead center at a 100 yards. What was amazing was the 180 grain Core-Lokts shot darn near to the same zero.

After I sighted it in, I hit a 200 yard metal target that was about 4" diameter: one with a 165 grain Light Mag & one with a 180 grain Core-Lokt.

I think I will make this my primary elk hunting rifle.

BTW, the Light Magnum bullets are Interlock. I'm sure they'll work. They shot about MOA or a little less. Not bad for factory stuff.

If I don't get an elk, I won't be able to blame anything other than poor shooting.
Sounds pretty good. Keep in mind the Interlock will not retain as much weight as they are not a bonded bullet. I wouldn't take any extreme quartering shots with them. They are similar in design to the core-lokt. Not bonded but still a very effective bullet. Hit your bull behind the shoulder and I know he won't know the difference. Good luck and enjoy the experience!

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Hilltop,

Thanks for you advice. And I do great appreciate your well wishes.

The season opens Saturday. I can't wait!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I use the Hornady Interlocks for antelope and deer in my .243 and 25-06 and move up to the Interbond for elk just for the extra weight retention spoken about for those bigger animals. You'll be fine with the Interlocks as long as you don't try to shoot a big bull right on the shoulder at long distance, as that could be a little iffy!

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Well now that you've got that settled good luck on your hunt.
Once that bull is on the ground it won't matter what you shot him with.
Take lots of pics to share with those of us not hunting for bull elk.

WA280Guy

Jan 17, 2014
Kent, WA
All the best SansSouci in UT. Looking forward to your hunt report. Twenty-one UT preference points, congrats for sticking with it for an opportunity to kill a UT bull. I am sitting on 14 UT elk preference points with the hope to hunt UT bulls in the next ten years. My buddies daughter killed a very nice Book Cliffs bull earlier this week. If I get permission to post a picture of the 340 class bull I will do so soon. All the best.

CrossCreeks

Veteran member
Mar 6, 2014
Dover, Tennessee
Do not over think this, but I agree the bull won't know the difference if you hit him right. With that being said 7mm ! Good luck I want to see pictures of the horns not bullet holes !