.284" Going In, 1.00"+ Going Out

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
I saw a lot of bulls that most hunters wouldn't have thought twice about shooting. Guide: AKA: Mountain Sheep Ram (Ram for short), had us within 10 yards of a 5X5.

Ram politely and with social skill of an accomplished diplomat insisted on my using my very heavy 7MM Rem Mag. 7x7 bull didn't much care for Ram's rifle knowledge. One 160 grain Partition, one dead elk.

The most arduous part was keeping up with Ram crossing over God only knows how many ridges, and following him through vegetation that was thick enough to conceal a tank battalion. Following Ram required redefining the concept physical exertion. Hunting with Ram required my becoming reacquainted with routine ingestion of prescription anti-inflammatory medicine.

IMG_0984.jpg

Last edited:

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
BTW, Ram estimated weight of my bull at better than 900lbs. A Division of Wildlife Resources game warden put my bull's age at 10 years. He was massive in body, and 370+ in score.

Had I not been in darn near debilitating pain from too many orthopedic injuries, I know I could've held out for bull that would've scored higher. But when I shot my bull I was razor close to my maximum pain threshold. We literally chased that bull over God only knows how many ridges over a time span of at least 90 minutes. Fair chase doesn't do the term justice because I was fair-chased out long before I shot him.

I'll post more pics of my bull when I can.

Last edited:

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Thanks, guys, I really do appreciate it...a whole lot!

The experience was made all-the-better because we didn't shoot it. That elk forced us to hunt him and hunt him hard. Ram told me that it knew we were not cows nor anything that made him comfortable. He'd run over a ridge. We'd wait. Ram would bugle. Many bulls answered. Ram listened intently, assessed, and pointed in the direction we had to go, and then Ram was gone leaving me to force myself to chase after him. How he was able to tell the bull we were after from other buglers was beyond me. But he did.

After chasing him for the better part of 90 minutes and with Ram paying very close attention to what the bull was doing and predicting his next move, he disappeared over another ridge. I was in miserable pain and out of breath. I pushed myself to crest the ridge. I saw Ram glassing. He turned to me and motioned for me to get to where he was. Cardio wise, I'm can hold my own. But sea level cardio and high altitude cardio must be two different things because high altitude cardio didn't extend reciprocity to the sea level kind.

When I managed to get to Ram, he pointed off in the distance and said, "There's your bull. He's 130 yards away. Shoot him." Easier said than one thing or another, neither being shooting a rifle while oxygen deprived.

My crosshairs were doing 360's around his entire huge body. I told Ram that I needed to catch my breath. When my heart rate slowed, I was able to settle on where his heart was. I fired a 160 grain Partition. At the shot, I saw his knees buckle. I knew I hit him hard. Ram told me to shoot again, but by the time I bolted another round, he had walked behind trees.

The bull managed to make it to what was probably his bedding area. Ram found him about an hour after I hit him. How an animal that huge could hide itself was beyond me. He did leave an initial blood trail, but it slowed to mere droplets. I'm guessing that the droplets were from the entry and exit wounds because I think that that 160 grain Partition destroyed its heart on its way out of its far side. The exit wound was at least in inch in diameter. If its heart was pumping, we'd of found a whole lot more red stuff.

He did have a huge rack. At places just above its head it looked as though his antlers were considering palmation. However, my first reaction was to the size of him in his entirety. He was massive. Ram said he'd break 900lbs. He was so huge that five of us were unable to roll him on his legs for photos. After about a half-hour of trying, Ram accepted endeavor futility. So we managed to position him as best we could, and Ram switched from guide to photographer.

Besides the knowledge and expertise of Ram and his excellent crew, I do owe a lot of appreciation to my surgeon who knew exactly where to inject me with three cortisone shots about 10 days before I killed my bull. Without that medicine, I know I would not have been able to hunt.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
BTW,

The bull's tongue never protruded from its mouth, which, in my experience, is an indicator of a heart-shot animal.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Holy can of beans that thing is a slobbering pig, much congratulations to you man!!!
Thank you, sir, and my enormous appreciation to your wonderful state and its wildlife professionals. There are many units in your state that hold massive bulls. The trick is drawing another tag.

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Mark,

That bull came out of San Juan County, UT.

I've heard that there are huge bulls in the county. It's altogether another concept to actually see them. There's no doubt in my mind that there are even bigger bulls roaming San Juan County. In fact, I was just told of one that was taken there that tipped the on-the-hoof scales at better than a thousand pounds.

Last edited:

SansSouci

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Hilltop,

Yep, there will be more photos coming. My guide, Bighorn Ram, has them on his camera. As soon as he gets time, he'll download 'em & sent them to me.