26 Moose Scouting Trip

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Headed to 26 next Friday to look around in case we ever draw our moose tag, and I had a couple questions.
1. Should I get a wolf tag just in case, or aren't​ there enough around to even waste my money?
2. What's the bear situation more than likely gonna be, lots or not too many around?
3. If lots of bears, are tags available OTC?
4. What's the fishing situation, any hotspots I ought to hit?
5. Do I need a big game tag to carry a rifle?
6. Probably take my nephew to Yellowstone, what are the odds of getting a camping spot?

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Headed to 26 next Friday to look around in case we ever draw our moose tag, and I had a couple questions.
1. Should I get a wolf tag just in case, or aren't​ there enough around to even waste my money?
That's in the wolf predator zone...just shoot 'em.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Black bears mostly, have taken 2 moose from that area and no grizz. No restrictions on carrying a rifle especially of you're wolf hunting or coyotes. You may have a GW contact you just be upfront and honest about why you are toting a rifle. Stop at the check station, it is a must for all hunters, if you pass it. They will also have good info for you. Great area, you should find a nice bull.

Jlrineer1

Nov 29, 2015
I was in 20a cold meadows last week, didn't see any bears but we had fresh snow and tracked one about half a mile down the mountain. He couldn't have been far we found a steaming pile of bear poop at one point. Must've winded or heard us then doubled back up the hill. Not worth it to chase him through the blowdown up hill. We saw a small bull moose in cold meadows with a lot of tracks in the area. We talked to the FS lady at the cabins she said theirs one smaller bull and a bigger one that have been hanging out in the meadows up there. We only saw one set of fresh wolf tracks after the snow, but no sightings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I was in 20a cold meadows last week, didn't see any bears but we had fresh snow and tracked one about half a mile down the mountain. He couldn't have been far we found a steaming pile of bear poop at one point. Must've winded or heard us then doubled back up the hill. Not worth it to chase him through the blowdown up hill. We saw a small bull moose in cold meadows with a lot of tracks in the area. We talked to the FS lady at the cabins she said theirs one smaller bull and a bigger one that have been hanging out in the meadows up there. We only saw one set of fresh wolf tracks after the snow, but no sightings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This is Wyoming unit 26.. not talking about Idaho

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk