1903a3 Restoration Project

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Just thought I'd share some pics with you folks of my recent winter project. This rifle was purchased by my dad in the 70's from a gunsmith who's name was lost in time, used by my father, myself, and my brother on many successful hunts through the years, and had found a corner in his gun safe to be neglected in for quite some time. I decided a little while back to attempt to bring this rifle 'back from the dead' so to speak.

Pics of condition before I started the work.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Some of the surface blemishes I found hiding unseen.

Metal Parts Striped down and bluing removed ready to re-blue.

Last edited:

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Parts after bluing and ready for assembly

And mostly assembled, and working, almost ready to go back to the range.

Last edited:

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
I also refinished the stock as it had some worse for wear places on it two. It's kinda hard to tell from pics, but it doesn't really even appear to be the same gun and I was very happy how it turned out in the end.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Looks awesome. Great job! I think you made someone smile with this restoration job. He would be proud.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Great job restoring your gun. Thanks for sharing it. Like Ikeepitcool said I think your family is smiling at you! I know I am.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
03A3's are great guns...and addictive! I picked one up in an estate once and now I have 5 or 6. Only one is original, as long as the bores are bright they shoot great.
They really are. The most accurate gun I own is a 03a3 based custom in 25-06. Used to see them all the time in gun shops, but not so much anymore.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
What an awesome project. Would love to do this someday. Although it's not nearly as old as yours, my grandpa has a old 7mm-06 that I would love to do some minor touching up. The stories he's told are irreplaceable and make you smile everytime you hear them.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Great job that's a nice looking rifle. I have my dad's Remington model 721 that he bought used in the early 60's that is in about the same shape minus the rust. I think it would be a nice project for me now that I'm retired.