103 Wyoming antelope

fuzzyvelvet

Oct 17, 2016
I am looking at doing a fun family hunt with my first time hunting daughters and wife for does. Hoping to see lots of animals and not have major access issues. I know access can be difficult but how big of an issue is it? Are the chunks of state land and walk-in areas fairly easy to access? I want this to be a fun successful hunt. I may also pick up a buck tag. What size of bucks can be expected? Thanks.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Unless your wife and daughter want to put 10+ miles on in a day to be successful, I'd look else where. This unit looks great on paper, but there are some serious access issue that you can over come, with lots of walking. Bucks are average. A lot better place to try and pull some doe tags for a family hunt.

lucky guy

Mar 10, 2014
I took it as a leftover a few years back. I tagged out but I found and hunted small patches of state land. Not much of a family experience hunt.

On the other hand I was standing in line at Safeway in Wheatland last year and struck up a conversation with a woman in line behind me and got invited on her unit 103 ranch to shoot does. I had a tag in a different unit. A day or so later we struck up a conversation with a guy who also turned out to own some ground and we got on that ranch in our unit, and are invited back.

Wyoming (and Montana too) are like that, show up, be nice, talk to people, it might work out. The wardens can be a big help too. You can get their phone no. from WGF and they pick up.

Last edited:

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I took it as a leftover a few years back. I tagged out but I found and hunted small patches of state land. Not much of a family experience hunt.

On the other hand I was standing in line at Safeway in Wheatland last year and struck up a conversation with a woman in line behind me and got invited on her unit 103 ranch to shoot does. I had a tag in a different unit. A day or so later we struck up a conversation with a guy who also turned out to own some ground and we got on that ranch in our unit, and are invited back.

Wyoming (and Montana too) are like that, show up, be nice, talk to people, it might work out. The wardens can be a big help too. You can get their phone no. from WGF and they pick up.
That is why no matter where I am hunting I go into town for supplies and eat some meals at local establishments. Wear some camo, we're not offended by it, it may open some gates for you.