10 elk points - trespass hunt

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
I have been planning to burn my WY points in 2018 for a few years now. A few years ago, I was set on 45, then the past few years I was planning on 16-2, but to do it during archery season... might not draw 16-2 with 10 points, in either regular or special. I just don?t feel all that confident in either of those options at this point. I would prefer to do this archery, but like the idea that I can come back with a rifle if need be.... although if I found the right type 9 option was available, I would go that route.

So the past couple weeks, I have been thinking about maybe I can do a hunt with trespass fee as an option. Maybe in unit 7? Was hoping someone knew of a decent option? I?m not fully opposed to going with guides, but would prefer to do without a guide if I can make it work. I am experienced and have killed a few bulls with my bow, so I am trying to find an option that would give me a ?chance? at hunting bigger bulls. Going home without an elk is ok too, and I will hold out for a nice bull.

I can keep waiting, but would prefer over time to hunt general or a unit I can draw every 3 to 4 years and rotate it with a few other states. Anybody have any brilliant ideas? Or a lead where I can do a trespass hunt somewhere?

Appreciate the time, merry Christmas.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
There are some guys on MM that have done trespass hunts in 7; I forget who they are but they paid a reasonable amount. There are a cpl landowners that are part of the access yes program as well.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks Bob, I posted on MM as well, hope one of them will see the post. I will dig thru the archives as well.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
I hunted unit 7 in 2014 on private property with family member of property owner. Had a great time and would share info if you are willing to pay a fee. Archery hunt probably not a good choice as the bulls only move onto property after the rut.

brdhuntr

Feb 17, 2016
Eagle Idaho
I hunted unit 7 in 2014 on private property with family member of property owner. Had a great time and would share info if you are willing to pay a fee. Archery hunt probably not a good choice as the bulls only move onto property after the rut.
Elk chaser,i'm looking to burn my elk points,and could you send me the info.on the ranch you hunted on. Thank you Birdhunter..

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Thanks! PM sent.

jvonbank

May 30, 2017
Lake St Louis, MO
The unit 7 archery hunt I went on in 2009 was probably the most fun elk hunt I've ever been on. We hunted on private land the last week of September with a very reasonably priced outfitter. I didn't end up getting a bull during the archery hunt and I was able to go back out there with them on some lower elevation property for the last few days of the season. My dad and I hope to go back out there in the next couple of years when we draw again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk