Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ducks an Geese

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 5 Posts

Ducks an Geese

How do you guys cook your waterfowl got a few Geese an a duck or two to cook up? Thanks to anyone that replies

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    We usually fry them with garlic salt. My step son lives for duck hunting and he like to cook them up for us. He wrapped the breasts in bacon and cream cheese and baked them too. Pretty dang good.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 277 Times in 59 Posts
    We take it in and get jalapeño cheddar sausage made out of it.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 27 Posts
    I usually turn my geese into jerky, and I'll either grill or pan sear duck breasts. I really like to pan sear a duck breast, slice it thin, and then toss it into an omelet.

Right now, I'm trying my hand at goose prosciutto. I cured the skin on breasts for 3 days, and then used my wife's wine fridge as a cure chamber (she's real impressed with that).
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 25 Posts
    I only grind them up and make jerky

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    Cube the breasts up into one or two inch cubes. Marinate in frozen orange juice concentrate, Worcestershire sauce, Soy Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and some some grape jelly overnight ( I have also used some brown suger instead of the jelly). I wish I could give you exact measurements but I just start with the can of orange juice and work from there. I will put a piece of jalapeño or bell pepper or onion on each and then wrap them in bacon and put them on the grill. As your grilling brush with the left over marinade. I promise you wont be disappointed! I have also used the "Sweeter then Sweet" ham making kit from LEM products and made hams out of whole goose breasts that are out of this world. It's an easy process and I wrap them in bacon and put them in the included ham nets after the curing process and cook them in my smoker till they hit 165 internal temp.

If you kept the legs I put these in a crock pot with plenty of season salt and just enough water to cover. Cook until they fall off the bone. Pull them out and let them cool enough to pull the meat off the bones and tendons. (wild birds have more then domestic or maybe they are just more developed) Put the meat back in the crock pot with the juices from cooking and turn it up on high, maybe ad some chicken stock, add some homemade or store bought egg noodles and you have some really good goose n noodles.
    Last edited by RSHusker; 12-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RSHusker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I usually turn my geese into jerky, and I'll either grill or pan sear duck breasts. I really like to pan sear a duck breast, slice it thin, and then toss it into an omelet.

Right now, I'm trying my hand at goose prosciutto. I cured the skin on breasts for 3 days, and then used my wife's wine fridge as a cure chamber (she's real impressed with that).
    I've heard of this. Let us know if it turns out. Like if it was honestly worth the effort. Best of luck.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 13 Posts
    Deboned the breasts
    Cut them into chunks
    Tossed them in flour and bread crumbs
    Browned them in olive oils
    Seasoned with garlic powder and garlic salt
    Threw in minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
    Can of chicken broth
    Let it cook at 350 degrees for 4 hours then added a cup of red wine and then cooked until fork tender.

Remember to cook it at a lower heat at long hours gets them really tender.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419648660.988907.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	11818

This was awesome for some teal and mallards I got a few weeks ago

I got another recipe that my mom uses but I don't remember the exact recipe.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    I've heard of this. Let us know if it turns out. Like if it was honestly worth the effort. Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

I did this with a duck breasts once. Didn't turn out the way I had envisioned but I think it was my doing. Let us know how it comes out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 5 Posts

those are some good ideas thanks guys we're not getting as many as I thought we would weather been warm an we not really in the flyway may have to go to them lol

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast