Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 654 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 436 Times in 50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegarbrah View Post
    Hi guys, my name is Andre and I'm from Southern California and currently live in Orange County CA. I've been an avid fisherman/waterman ever since I could swim and recently got into bird hunting out in Riverside CA. I've always wanted to get into big game hunting, but its a tough task down here in SoCal due to large human to deer populations. Myself and a close friend decided to apply for prime CA big game tags and if we luck out then we'll hunt here, otherwise we're planning on hunting elk and or deer in CO this fall.
    Welcome to the forum Andre. I grew up in Riverside on the north end of Chicago Avenue on 15 acres next to a feed processing plant. I had all the pigeons, crows, starlings, and ground squirrels a kid could ask for to hunt with a pellet gun. My dad paid me a bounty on the ground squirrels and trapping gophers. One day I shot a dozen crows with a CO2 powered pellet gun and voice calling them. We also had a small pond stocked with catfish and bluegills. I had a solid liver colored German Shorthair that followed me everywhere and was quite the hunter.

We used to hunt ducks and geese down in the Imperial Valley, fish stripers over at the Palo Verde Diversion Dam and take an occasional fishing charter out of San Diego. I still have a dream to head down for a two week long range trip.

I'm sorry the population of "large humans" has continued to get worse. I was 6' 3" when I left for Oregon at 18 years old, but apparently that did not help one bit!! We had vacationed in Oregon every summer fishing for salmon on the coast as I was growing up. In the 1980's my parents, myself and my two older brothers and their families moved to Roseburg.

If hunting out of state for elk, you ought to begin considering archery hunting. There are still some good opportunities to hunt rutting elk with a bow on OTC hunts, especially when you are young enough to get away from the crowds. In fact you are quite a bit closer to most of the western state hunting areas I head to, than I am in Oregon.

Hope you hang around and post some stories, advice, and feel free to be a bit goofy too. We aren't ALWAYS serious on Eastman's.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its good to meet you Umpqua Hunter. From the way you've described it, Riverside was a lot different back then. There is still a lot of grat upland bird hunting and duck hunting opportunity out in the Inland Empire, and if you look hard enough this is still untouched beauty out there. These day's the developers are coming back and the population in Riverside County is exploding due to the high cost of living in SD/OC/LA counties.

I definitely plan on exploring more of Riverside county this fall and trying to get some pheasant and quail hunting in. I was also surprised at how close I am to a lot of quality rivers and lakes now that I am in orange county. I'm strongly considering buying a kayak and rigging it up for dual purpose coastal sea fishing and maybe getting back into freshwater fishing. I currently have a boat docked out of Marina Del Rey (which I split with my dad and brother) so any fishing I do is generally ocean, and I'll do 1-2 offshore trips a year out of San Diego (usually 1.5 - 3 day trips). Last year my brother caught his first bluefin tuna on a 1.5 day trip.

I've noticed that the more I research and prepare for doing a western backpack style hunt the more excited I am to be attempting it. Even if I don't get a chance at an animal I feel like the experience of preparing, learning, and understanding what I'm doing out in unfamiliar country is a reward within itself.

Glad I'm a member on the forum and looking forward to soaking in all the information I can from fellow members

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another excellent way to access rivers, oceans and other bodies of water in California is to use a kayak. There are a lot of different options out there--sea kayak, river, hybrid. For me, I'm a fan of Vibe Kayaks, particularly the ones where you can sit on top and get on and off easily. Where I live, these give me a lot of flexibility and I'm able to fish ocean, rivers, lakes. Here's a solid write up of the Vibe Maverick 120.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegarbrah View Post
    AKaviator I'm original from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles but I moved down to Costa Mesa/Newport area last October. Laguna beach is probably a whole lot different then when you were living there, mansions, models, and a lot of money in that town. But the scuba diving there is unreal and now that the MLPA has closed off the entire area for wildlife protection all the reef's out there are full of wildlife.
    Glad to have you Andre. What is the MLPA ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newenglanguy View Post
    Another excellent way to access rivers, oceans and other bodies of water in California is to use a kayak. There are a lot of different options out there--sea kayak, river, hybrid. For me, I'm a fan of Vibe Kayaks, particularly the ones where you can sit on top and get on and off easily. Where I live, these give me a lot of flexibility and I'm able to fish ocean, rivers, lakes. Here's a solid write up of the Vibe Maverick 120.
    Almost 5 years old? Can you say spam?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 8 Posts
    Welcome to the site...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 6 Posts
    Welcome aboard!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 120 Times in 51 Posts
    welcome to the site. jump in and have some fun.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12