Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts

Could of would of should of!

Wisdom is a powerful thing to have. I am 27 years old and a Missouri resident. I want to address all the guys who have "been there, done that". I currently apply to some simple tags, Colorado elk, Mule deer, Wyoming antelope, and Elk. I am looking for advice from the older guys who wish they would have done things different. Maybe it was applied for tags when they were younger, maybe it was not put a hunt off a year. Maybe i'm missing a bigger picture, such as hunting a species in multiple states over several years instead of having tunnel vision on a certain unit or state. Tell me what you would have done at my age, and why. I am mainly interested in elk, Moose, and Caribou hunts at this time in my life. I don't want to look back on my life at 50 years old and think "man if only I would have done this earlier". Even though I feel like that is inevitable lol. Thanks guys. I think this will be a awesome thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 785 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Moved out west when I was In my 20s instead of 40s��

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 837 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts
    I should have invested in Apple and I should have bought hunting property when it was affordable... In all seriousness, Make a plan to hunt Alaska for moose and follow through with it. I have always wanted to go but there have always been reasons not to do it at the time. Work, Family, and money etc... I do believe the older you get the harder it will be to make the most of a trip up there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    I would have started applying for points much earlier in life. I wouldn't have spent most of my money whitetail hunting and used more of it to do diy hunts for big game out west on public lands.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 8 Posts
    Go hunting whenever the time and money are right! I'm 44 and started hunting out west in my 20's.

I try to use points to get a decent hunt every year rather than chasing the "best" units that require lots of points. Apply for states that have random draws too because you might get lucky.
    Last edited by Big Chief J; 05-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 116 Times in 25 Posts
    You are about the same age I was when first started getting points for western hunts. That's probably the only thing that I wish I would have been able to start earlier. I'm still young enough to use the knowledge I've gained to really put things together here soon before I get to the age where I start regretting not doing things sooner. Looks like you are in a good situation being 27 with some points built.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 284 Times in 66 Posts
    I'm not one of the older bucks here either but if there is any advice I can give you its to take more time to go hunting and apply for as many states as possible that you can afford and experience as much as you can afford to experience. Once you have 6 points in everything then start shuffling your way through your points. By the time you get through them all it will have done a full circle and you'll have points to go through again. Currently I have 15 years worth of points to shuffle through. God willing, I'll cycle through them all three times unless something major happens with the systems. So far it is working swimmingly for me. I dont mind "taking turns" on hunting an area. Dont get hung up on hunting the same species year after year on your trips and accept the fact that there are some things that are out of your reach and always will be due to the nature of the systems in place. Focus on what is practical, obtainable, and affordable.

Experience everything you can in life while you have your legs and wits about you.

You will die one day. Always remember that. Dont sit there dying wishing you had experienced more.
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 05-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 82 Times in 15 Posts
    My advice is to go when you get the chance. Here are somethings you can count on.
    1. Will never be more affordable.
    2. Will never get easier to obtain the tag.
    3. If you pass on a hunt it better be for a better one.

All I had to do was make the call to book the caribou hunt in Quebec 30 plus years ago. I had the money, but always worried something major might come up. At the time $2,300.00 would cover all cost but tips for guides. This was for a one on one guide. You know what that hunt cost now? Does not matter. The hunt does not exist. Keep in mind you can always make more money, but you can't buy time no matter how much money you have.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yell Co AR Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 654 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 436 Times in 50 Posts
    So I decided in my early 20's (the mid 1980s) that I wanted a grand slam and figured I needed to draw my bighorn and desert to pull that off. I was able to achieve that goal at 37 years old and have drawn three bighorn tags and one desert tag (FYI: All four came as a result of max points). I should still draw Arizona and possibly even another random sheep tag somewhere. My immediate family has drawn three sheep tags as well (all random tags). With that said, researching all the nuances of hunt applications became a hobby that I got very absorbed in, figuring out how to stay ahead of the competition. My research grew into other species and some great tags. Each year the amount of fixed out of pocket costs grew in building points. Years ago I could have turned that research into a business but I was in a great place in my career.

I have come to understand that you WILL become an EXPERT at SOMETHING. That can range from being lazy, to a discontent employee who bounces around to various jobs, to being a video gamer, to being a world class neurosurgeon. You WILL become VERY GOOD at what you invest the most time, finances and energy in.

Things I would have done differently, especially if I was starting today.

1) With the brain power I invested to learn how to draw great tags in the west, I wish I had instead used that to learn investing, valuing companies on their financials and the stock market. I'm almost 55 and am slowing down on my hunt research to draw tags, simply because my family is in a great place with points. I have the family genes to live into my 90s if my health stays good. I think I could have enjoyed investing into my 80s or 90s even. I can only imagine how savy of an investor I could be now had I poured the same amount of energy into investing as learning hunting areas and niche areas to apply. I could have bought some phenomenal hunts with a strong investment plan, rather than investing in "points". I am growing as an investor, but to become truly proficient at something takes thousands of hours.

3) I would have spent far less money on taxidermy. I loved a shoulder mount when I was young, today it is really not a very big deal to me. I get so much more out of a great field photograph and memories. I have grown to prefer a nice European mount.

4) Invest even more in what is ETERNAL. When you look back on your life, stuff will fade and deteriorate, relationships with people and your relationship with God are forever.

Things I would not have changed:

1) Being a husband and father who is loyal.

2) Working very hard when I was young to build a career that will provided well. I chose engineering.

3) Staying out of debt. I've owed on one car for a couple months and paid off my first house in my early thirties. Being debt free is incredibly liberating. My dad always said, "Debt is bondage".

4) My second wife of 10 years has been an incredible blessing. Realize the person you marry will define your life almost more than any other factor.

5) I love God. He has been the one constant in my life. The pain of life has brought more and more realness and authenticity to my relationship with Him.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 05-23-2019 at 01:42 PM.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts

Points are awesome, just look at what Umpqua hunter has done, but with that said.
    Don't just wait for that special hunt. Go by an otc tag and go hunting. learn the area and have fun.

Go to Alaska, once again otc will work just fine.

However for me, the most important thing to do is: push your self, and I do mean push your self. Good things come to those who go after them. So push your self to be the better, at anything you want to do. Also, remember you can do more than you think you can. so push yourself.

also, may your dreams exceed your memories.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast