Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts

I just run heavy duty chains that I have got through the years. I also use tarp tighteners(the black bungi cords)for the adjusters to keep them tight.

I have 2 sets so that I can chain up all 4 tires

https://www.tirechain.com/Tire-Chain...Heavy-Duty.htm
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    Gr8 thread here; some great ideas for off road rigs to get you in deep and back out!

What/if are you guys using for tire chains when it gets super sloppy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    I carry a set of Walmart chains, the $60 or so ones in the blue tub. They're actually surprisingly good quality for the price, but you can only go a few miles an hour with them - they'll shake your teeth out if you go any faster. I'm fine with that, I want grip, not comfort.

The tensioners they come with are garbage, I've already had to replace one, but they're cheap. (It's the metal hooks that seem to go.) These chains saved my bacon twice last year, once in snow and once in mud. I plan to get another set so I have all four tires covered. I know some people grouse about chaining up being a pain, but I got a lot of practice so it only takes me a minute or two now

On top of that I just upgraded to a set of grippier tires, the BG Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2. (Discount Tire had a good deal on them in my size.) They've been good so far. They're very stiff so it's hurt the ride just a bit, but didn't change the noise level. Dropped my gas mileage about 1/2mpg but that's the trade you make. So far these have gotten me out of one mud situation I would have had to chain up for, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

As additional measures I carry a pair of cheap traction boards, generic ones off Amazon. They work great and also make a good base for a hi-lift jack (which I also carry). And for "getting out of ditches" mode, I have a 12,000lb winch on the front. It's a cheap Harbor Freight model, but I've used it four times in the past couple of years and it's done its job. If you want a winch but can't afford a Warn, this is usually a great deal when their 20% coupon comes out.

I have 5 camping trips lined up in the next 6 weeks and I expect to use all of this gear on them. It's mud season here in Colorado! Lord knows I used every piece of it last year.

This year I'm trying something new. I usually hunt with a Jumping Jack trailer, an off-road tent trailer that I'm super happy with, but it does limit some places you can get to. Over the winter I installed a fabric Bestop topper and built a set of basic plywood drawers. I laid down a rubber gym floor mat over it all for easy cleaning. I have a 4" foam mattress I can throw in here with a sleeping bag and camp basically anywhere without having to "set up" my tent, and if I take game I can stow the mattress in the truck and the deer can go in the bed. This also keeps all my gear organized.

In the pics below you'll see some canvas bags in the left drawer. These are "canvas tanker style bags" you can get cheaply off Amazon. I swear by them. The handles are sewn all the way around so they'll easily carry a set of chains. One of them has 50lbs of winching gear and has never torn. Super easy to "grab and go". I have a bag for each "task": tool, winching, towing, and chains.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190520_100731.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	23485

Name:	IMG_20190520_100744.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	23486

Name:	IMG_20190520_100749.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	23487

Name:	IMG_20190520_100758.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	23488

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taskswap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 291 Times in 95 Posts
    Sweet setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 391 Times in 66 Posts
    I just changed my serpentin belt! ��

7. The Following User Says Congratulations to sneakypete For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 241 Times in 46 Posts

Name:	217B3A3C-3A62-4856-B695-C340D41219E5.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	23489 I built this truck last year, it?s been awesome. It?s agile enough to go anywhere I want it to and enough truck to pull my 25? RV trailer. I have a spare everything in the tool box, starter, alternator, belt, hoses etc. it doesn?t get the best mileage but I fixed that with a 70 gallon slip tank so I can pack 100 gallons of fuel. The winch has been a very useful tool and I am surprised how much I use it. My favorite thing about it is I have less than 4K into it so if it gets scratched I don?t really care.

My first hunting rig just got slicks, taking it to the local drag strip next moth to see how it does. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0759D4F1-3BF9-4577-B8F4-15758244B92B.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	23490

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Guys you have made great job with your rig. I still don't have time to start rebulidnig my Jeep :/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 20 Posts
    Just put diesel fuel in it & when its gets too tight or nasty its boot time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 357 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    Gr8 thread here; some great ideas for off road rigs to get you in deep and back out!

What/if are you guys using for tire chains when it gets super sloppy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    These are the ones I use.
    https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tir...ce_Spikes.aspx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts
    couple of pics of my main hunting rig and a couple for fun.
    I love the spectra, great car, goes places most new trucks turn around, since they don't want to get there trucks dirty. The lifted tundra is my wifes rig. typical tundra, a chicks truck.
    got to have fun with this thread, guys take trucks and cars serious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled attachment 00162.jpg   20171115_194453.jpg   20171116_083713.jpg   20171018_115906.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

I never talk trash about another's rig. If a Spectra works for you that's great! No such thing as a chick's truck in my book, it's just four wheels and a certain steel box on top. My first year getting back-country was in a Mini Countryman. I got some FUNNY looks with that, but it could get into the tightest spots, things even the big trucks stopped and pulled over for. I love my F150 but nowadays I figure if it gets you there and back, it was the "right vehicle!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast