Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts

Mapping a DIY hunt

There are countless maps that can make a hunter successful on a DIY hunt. I use ONX, CPW, and DIYhuntingmaps for most all my hunts, But for this years hunt I am spending hours a week studying maps for an elk hunt. Is there any videos, TV shows or books I can view or buy to teach me how to get the most out of all the information available to today's elk hunters?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 282 Times in 93 Posts
    Newberg has some good videos on this topic. Check them out- very resourceful.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Spend some time on YouTube and search for what your looking for.

Also take a look at the Eastmans channel. Click on videos and have a look there. Many videos on elk hunting all the way back with Mike Eastman.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 18 Posts
    I know you are asking about maps and such, but if there is any way you can spend some time in your hunt area this summer, I highly recommend it.

Even just a few days in person helps a lot to figure out access; and the lay of the land, come hunting season.

I started taking my kids with me on a summer camping trip in Rockies 2 yrs ago. We have a blast fishing, camping, hiking - while I sneak in some basic scouting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Prerylyon; 05-15-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    I know you are asking about maps and such, but if there is any way you can spend some time in your hunt area this summer, I highly recommend it.

Even just a few days in person helps a lot to figure out access; and the lay of the land, come hunting season.

I started taking my kids with me on a summer camping trip in Rockies 2 yrs ago. We have a blast fishing, camping, hiking - while I sneak in some basic scouting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    Ya this was a thought of mine but I have a little girl on the way and she will be here In the middle of June so I dont think this will be an option this year. I'm lucky enough the ball and chain is letting me go on a 10 day hunt in September the way it is lol. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check those out. Keep it coming!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aron Snyder did some Nav/orienteering-like podcasts in some of the early Gritty Bowman, Ep 48 & 49. Before worrying about finding animals and reading terrain, this is a good primer for not getting lost.

From there, as somebody mentioned, Newberg has a lot of material (vids and podcasts) available.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 775 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 327 Times in 72 Posts
    It sounds like you know the area you are going to....I'd recommend just keeping it simple. Caveat September hunt.

1) Identify the probable primary bedding areas. North facing old growth timber
    2) Identify the water sources or possible water sources
    3) Identify all roads and trails that allow access. (mark in a bright highlighter)
    4) Identify the dead zones or unpressured areas they could be.

The above four will get you going in the right direction to glass em up or hopefully hear them. Lastly if you don't see them or sign.....move.

Google earth and Onyx. USFS maps for the trails. Each state also has some sort of master trail database also.
    Last edited by Slugz; 05-16-2019 at 06:30 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 267 Times in 63 Posts
    If you zoom in real close on google earth you can actually spot the elk and start hunting there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    If you zoom in real close on google earth you can actually spot the elk and start hunting there.
    I have tried this but never found any. Lol Wishful thinking?

Thanks Slugz ill get a USDS map for the trails. Anyone know if a rambo bike is legal on the National forest bike trails?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TN911 View Post
    There are countless maps that can make a hunter successful on a DIY hunt. I use ONX, CPW, and DIYhuntingmaps for most all my hunts, But for this years hunt I am spending hours a week studying maps for an elk hunt. Is there any videos, TV shows or books I can view or buy to teach me how to get the most out of all the information available to today's elk hunters?
    As someone mentioned above, last year we did a full series on E-Scouting for elk.
    All the videos can be found at this link https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KGZh7wt6sSRCwx

This link is a another dive into how to use burns.
    http://bit.ly/RemiWildfireBlog

And depending on what your tag situation is, we have the Eastmans MRS layer to check out some draw units
    http://bit.ly/EastmansMRSInfo

Good luck on your upcoming hunt!
    Last edited by onX Hunt; 05-16-2019 at 10:53 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onX Hunt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast