Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 26 Posts

WY pronghorn planning for my granddad

He is sitting on 7pts, basically how he got that many was health issue kept getting in the way then point creep happened.

Here is our scenario and I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice; he is 76 and in decent shape, however last year hunting in MT he had difficulty breathing and later discovered he had pneumonia which for whatever reason has left him with shortness of breath. Now, he has to walk slow and covering much distance is a feat in itself. We are also schedule to be in MT for the general deer opener on Oct 26, so I?m trying to fit his hunt into one trip.

In a nutshell;
    -easy access unit with plenty of roads and easy-moderate terrain
    -size of antelope is second to having the opportunity to put on many stalks(it just happens that he has accumulated points)
    -unit open until end of Oct (I?ve noticed that a lot close Oct 22 which would cut our time drastically)
    -selfishly a unit or nearby unit with attainable doe tags for me and him to load the freezer up.
    -he will be the only one applying for a buck tag as I?m still holding out

It?s not imperative we wrap this trip into one but it would be nice as our drive from TN is a bit long. I?ve never hunted antelope that late so I?m not sure if some of these units will still hold good numbers or not. Also a bit concerned about weather and hindering our road access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 11 Posts
    With those points and an easy hunt like you?re describing I wouldn?t hesitate to apply for unit 74. I hunted it a couple of years ago and could?ve filled my tag from the truck with a bow if I wanted to. Plenty of mid 70?s bucks that I saw in that unit. The terrain is easy hiking as well, but you won?t need to unless you want to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cking13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The only issue with 74 is it closes 10/22. Which, if we arrived say on 18th or 19th that would give us 4-5 days to hunt.
    Surely he could bust one in 4 days, assuming the end of season is the animals are still around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 11 Posts
    I went the end of September so I don?t know what the unit is like 3 weeks later. But, if it?s anything like when I was there then you will have absolutely no problem putting your tag on a decent buck in 4 days.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cking13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 467 Times in 124 Posts
    I hunted 74 last year with 2 buddies, we all had 2 does tags. It was the first week of October and the rut had started, bucks everywhere. Like mentioned, lots of mid range to smaller bucks. I'll be there again this year with buck tag the first week of October. He should be able to draw it with his points. Lots of roads, BUT if you get some weather, they will be pretty slimy!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 26 Posts
    Generally speaking, you could make a list of all the pronghorn units that run through the end of October, then cross off all of the ones except the 4-6 point units. That would narrow it down drastically and you could sort through them from there.

Having only hunted 0-2 point units myself, I think I've had opportunities every day to shoot a buck from the side of the road. I'm sure a higher demand unit would be even better.

The main variable, as you mentioned, is weather. On a very short hunt, one big weather event could knock out your entire hunt.

I think it's fantastic that you're able to do this kind of stuff with your grandfather, I'm envious of you. Good luck with your planning!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    83 was on my radar a few years ago for him but point creep got him and he didn?t draw when he applied for it.
    Now he is back in the running for it. With the later dates I wonder if it?s still a decent unit to hunt for someone in his situation? Still, our idea of trying to tie it into one trip would only give us an extra two days of hunting as we would need to head out the morning of the 25th towards SE Montana....but those 2 days could be crucial if weather was messy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 832 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts
    Generally speaking you can't go wrong with any area requiring 4+ points. I am not aware of a single one that doesn't have great access and plenty of antelope.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Generally speaking you can't go wrong with any area requiring 4+ points. I am not aware of a single one that doesn't have great access and plenty of antelope.
    I?ve killed 5 antelope in WY and every single one except my first was killed on a second choice tag. I honestly have no idea what to expect in a ?quality? unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts

Another unit you might take a good look at is unit 75. I know it also closes on the 22nd but its maybe better than 74 from a amount of hunters standpoint. Its also maybe a little easier to get around if you run into some less than great weather - not much better but maybe a little.
    Good luck on your hunt, you should have a good time!
    "TEAM 7MM-08"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oregonmuley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast