Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming NR Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts

How does artificially adding an inefficiency benefit a general population?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 8 Posts
    It will probably result in some type of increase in draw odds for general elk and maybe easier to draw areas. At least move the deadline up with moose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Well, that?s not necessarily a benefit if the change discourages people from applying. If anything this punishes those without the means to float that kind of money for that long, or risk drawing multiple tags.

If anything WY needs an outfitter pool of tags with their completely inequitable wilderness access laws. That way outfitters still get their clients, those wilderness animals get hunted, and perhaps some applicants come out of the general pool since they?re in the outfitter pool. And maybe make the outfitter pool expensive since those folks are less likely to be price sensitive.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 249 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Perros View Post
    Well, that?s not necessarily a benefit if the change discourages people from applying. If anything this punishes those without the means to float that kind of money for that long, or risk drawing multiple tags.

If anything WY needs an outfitter pool of tags with their completely inequitable wilderness access laws. That way outfitters still get their clients, those wilderness animals get hunted, and perhaps some applicants come out of the general pool since they?re in the outfitter pool. And maybe make the outfitter pool expensive since those folks are less likely to be price sensitive.
    You realize there are far more outfitters that operate on national forest, blm and private than in the wilderness areas? ANY outfitter would rather know what clients they are booking in February rather than June. I also fail to see how this had anything to do with the outfitting association. Non-residents usually fail to realize the outfitters are their largest backer and supporter for non-res tags when it comes to game and fish discussions. Without non-res outfitters don't survive

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 18 Posts
    I guess I'm on the fence with it.

It will definitely force some decisions; especially for nonres folks like me on a tighter tag budget with limited vacation time to scout and hunt.

This year is a good example: I failed to draw my elk tag in WY, and knew about it in plenty of time to work up plan b for something else - with that "something else" probably still supporting the WY economy!

Agree that pushing elk draw results way out will probably reduce applicants, thus maybe help some odds; but it also will make it more difficult to plan hunts in WY. It seems it would turn things in more of an 'all or nothing' deal. Idk. We'll see I guess...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    I guess I'm on the fence with it.

It will definitely force some decisions; especially for nonres folks like me on a tighter tag budget with limited vacation time to scout and hunt.

This year is a good example: I failed to draw my elk tag in WY, and knew about it in plenty of time to work up plan b for something else - with that "something else" probably still supporting the WY economy!

Agree that pushing elk draw results way out will probably reduce applicants, thus maybe help some odds; but it also will make it more difficult to plan hunts in WY. It seems it would turn things in more of an 'all or nothing' deal. Idk. We'll see I guess...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    I would think it will also affect the folks putting in for Antelope and Deer license. Many NR like myself, only apply for deer and or antelope if they do not draw an elk tag. That is their plan B. Not knowing if you have drawn an elk tag or not would make me a lot less likely to apply for deer or antelope.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan maule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 151 Times in 38 Posts
    Forcing someone to front a tag fee, and then holding onto that money for nearly half the year is pretty rotten. Wyoming sells a great product, and I'll gladly pay a bunch for it, and I think the science behind waiting until May to solidify tag numbers is sound. But, making me put my app in by the end of January, to not see results until June is absurd.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Forcing someone to front a tag fee, and then holding onto that money for nearly half the year is pretty rotten. Wyoming sells a great product, and I'll gladly pay a bunch for it, and I think the science behind waiting until May to solidify tag numbers is sound. But, making me put my app in by the end of January, to not see results until June is absurd.
    I agree 100% and I made my thoughts known.

Please comment on this guys: If enough speak up, they will have to listen.

https://wgfapps.wyo.gov/WGFD_WebSurv...ov/regulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts
    this will suck for the multi-state d i y er,,i dont like it,,them sitting on my money and also not being able to work up a plan b on the dates when results kick out early,,will problably create more point buying and sitting on them till you know you have enough to draw.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ore hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 10 Posts

In my opinion draw odds aren't going anywhere; price increases, cc fees, none of it has made any difference.

The change will benefit nr directly because residents will now draw Elk first and their leftovers will move to the nr side where we'll be waiting.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast