Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wyoming NR Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 27 Posts

I struggle to envision a scenario where the dates stay this way long-term, I could be wrong though.. usually am when I conjecture up these types of predictions, lol!

The only thing I can imagine seriously affecting demand for tags would be if the economy seriously tanked. I'm thinking best-case scenario is that point creep may decelerate a bit.

For guys that try to pull several tag per year, this change won't put too much of a stitch in their plans. If a guy can only pull one big tag and only one week off work to hunt, a decision will have to be made if they want all their eggs in the Wyoming basket and go OTC as backup, or secure alternate plans earlier on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LCH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Perros View Post
    Well, that?s not necessarily a benefit if the change discourages people from applying. If anything this punishes those without the means to float that kind of money for that long, or risk drawing multiple tags.

If anything WY needs an outfitter pool of tags with their completely inequitable wilderness access laws. That way outfitters still get their clients, those wilderness animals get hunted, and perhaps some applicants come out of the general pool since they?re in the outfitter pool. And maybe make the outfitter pool expensive since those folks are less likely to be price sensitive.
    It's a misconception that only rich dudes use outfitters. I am 66 and pretty much used up all my "extreme" hunting partners, and even made a couple outback hunting trips with non-hunters. Won't do that again, and have at least a couple weeks scheduled for solo deer hunts WY and CO. But, I know I can't pack an elk out alone, so have gone on a number of guided elk hunts and have another booked in CO for this year. I never made more than 50K a year as a police officer, but planned a retirement where I could fulfill my fantasies. I recruited more than 20 others for these guided hunts, and with only one exception, they were all in my economic class.
    As for the change in the WY draw....it sucks. It would change my app strategy in the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    It's a misconception that only rich dudes use outfitters. I am 66 and pretty much used up all my "extreme" hunting partners, and even made a couple outback hunting trips with non-hunters. Won't do that again, and have at least a couple weeks scheduled for solo deer hunts WY and CO. But, I know I can't pack an elk out alone, so have gone on a number of guided elk hunts and have another booked in CO for this year. I never made more than 50K a year as a police officer, but planned a retirement where I could fulfill my fantasies. I recruited more than 20 others for these guided hunts, and with only one exception, they were all in my economic class.
    As for the change in the WY draw....it sucks. It would change my app strategy in the future.
    Never said you were rich. Just not price sensitive.

But, median HOUSEHOLD income in my state is somewhere around $55k in today?s dollars. You have done better than you?d think.

FWIW, I?d be happy with zero changes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    In my opinion draw odds aren't going anywhere; price increases, cc fees, none of it has made any difference.

The change will benefit nr directly because residents will now draw Elk first and their leftovers will move to the nr side where we'll be waiting.
    Those tags are already offered to NR?s in the leftover draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 10 Posts
    Yes, where we compete with residents to draw them. Under the proposal they’ll get added to our initial quota just like the antelope and Deer licenses. Drawing those addl LQ licenses will reduce the quota balance licenses that get added to the special gen 2nd pass however.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 05-01-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Perros View Post
    How does artificially adding an inefficiency benefit a general population?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Forcing someone to front a tag fee, and then holding onto that money for nearly half the year is pretty rotten. Wyoming sells a great product, and I'll gladly pay a bunch for it, and I think the science behind waiting until May to solidify tag numbers is sound. But, making me put my app in by the end of January, to not see results until June is absurd.
    I'm not saying either of you are wrong. But like anything in life, when something is dumb and a pain in the ass, less people will do it. Which equals better draw odds. Or at least they won't be as bad as they would have been otherwise. And like WB said, the leftover tags from the resident draw will be available to NRs which is a huge benefit. There are some really good cow tags that a guy will have dramatically better odds of drawing now. I like it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 8 Posts
    If you go to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department website, the online comment period is open.

Nonresident elk draw – The proposed modify/withdraw date is May 8. The application period will remain the month of January. Tentatively, the draw results will be released prior to the close of the deer and antelope application deadline in May.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/News/Game-and-F...pen-for-huntin

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts

I dont like it,,makes idaho look more enticing,,,it will definately mess some of my planning options .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123