Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Utah CC hits started hitting around May 11 last year.

Colorado on the other hand was in June.

So just apply for the hunts that you want to go on or just purchase points and not worry about it.
    I wish it was that easy for me, If I draw CO and WY, either I lose my points or money in CO because it's the only one I could turn back in. 2 western hunts just isn't doable for me. I'd love to do it but I need a job and mule deer hunting doesn't pay my bills lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    That is where you just need to concentrate on one state. Put in for the tag in Colorado and build points in Wyoming. Then if you haven't drawn the tag that you want in Colorado by the time you have enough points in Wyoming then switch states for a year and go hunting in Wyoming.

I expect to see quite a few bailing out of Colorado after this year with having to purchase a hunting license to get into the draw. My brother in law is one of them. He put in for a unit that should be a sure draw for him with his points and then he'll forget about Colorado since he is a non resident and concentrate on Utah where he lives and Wyoming.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts
    I drew the late nm 2b deer for 1st week of nov,,,hopefully i draw colo deer 2nd season 28 pct chance according to g h,, and can throw 1 in my frezer,then hit the n m deer hunt after that.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to ore hunter For This Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,331 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    Utah CC hits started hitting around May 11 last year.

Colorado on the other hand was in June.

So just apply for the hunts that you want to go on or just purchase points and not worry about it.
    As a non-res to all western states, where $$ can be lost, it is not this simple. Wish it was Jim.

However, living in a western state is like having an ace in the hole.
    Guess I know what I need to do...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 283 Times in 65 Posts
    Go west Fievel. Lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	23399

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The problem is the way that western states handle the non residents and points it is better to just concentrate on on state rather than 3 or 4. You can buy points in Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, and Colorado. But three of those states require a hunting license to purchase points, only Wyoming lets you do it for just the cost of the point but with Utah you can use the same license for 2 years.

If I was a non resident wanting to hunt mule deer I think that I would find the unit that I wanted to hunt and then look at the amount of points that are required to draw that tag. In Colorado and Wyoming it is senseless to put in for a tag that takes more points than you have for the draw. Utah works on a hybrid bonus point system where a person with 0 points can draw a LE tag but the odds of that happening are a long ways off. But every year someone with just a few points draw some of the best units in the state.

You even have a slim chance in Wyoming and Arizona with very few points but a very slim chance. I beat the odds a couple of years ago drawing a great late coues deer hunt two years in a row. The first year with max points and then the next with 1. But if it says that you need 5 points to draw a tag in Colorado you better have 5+ points to draw it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 502 Times in 130 Posts
    There is also a chance for a Colorado resident to draw a great unit with few points....the Hybrid Draw. You need 5 points to qualify for a Hybrid Draw unit. A friend of mine's son drew a hybrid elk tag with 7 points that took 20+ points to draw. I drew a Hybrid Antelope tag in 2015 with 1/2 the points it took to draw a regular tag, so it can be done. If I was a Colorado resident and was building points and I had at least 5, I would put in for a hybrid unit. You just might get lucky.................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 8 Posts
    That is where you just need to concentrate on one state. Put in for the tag in Colorado and build points in Wyoming. Then if you haven't drawn the tag that you want in Colorado by the time you have enough points in Wyoming then switch states for a year and go hunting in Wyoming.

I expect to see quite a few bailing out of Colorado after this year with having to purchase a hunting license to get into the draw. My brother in law is one of them. He put in for a unit that should be a sure draw for him with his points and then he'll forget about Colorado since he is a non resident and concentrate on Utah where he lives and Wyoming.
    Playing in one state sends u to otc Colorado most of the time. U r going to be without a decent tag in most years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts
    ya never know if ya don't try,,depending on what you can afford ,,I got beyond lucky and drew a non-res califonia bighorn sheep tag in Nevada in 2017,,,litterally .02 of a percent chance,but somebodys got to get it,,i drew with 1 in 5000 odds!!I try to play several states,but look at it as a best bang for the buck deal first then work it from there.otc as a last ditch effort if I have to.

Thanks
    Congratulations

There are some very good units and hunts for deer in Colorado but you are going to have to work for the animals. One of my nephews has hunted 3rd season here in Colorado the last 3 years in a unit that has a lot of private blocking access. He just goes up high and then hikes back down to the better areas just off of the private. He has bagged a nice buck each of those 3 years. Then there is the archery hunts. A lot of those tag can be drawn with 0 points even for the better units.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast