Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: calf distress

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 827 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts

Calf distress and lost calf both work very well. I tend to lean towards the lost calf sounds as they have produced more regularly. I did call an entire heard in with the distress one evening but that isn't the norm. I have called in several that either I shot or one of my hunters shot with the lost calf. To make my lost calf sounds I use a Sleezy. Be careful if your picky on animal size though as many times a calf will be the first to run in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,028 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 119 Times in 50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KHSRanger23 View Post
    Pretty interesting question. I have never tired to use a calf in distress call for elk hunting. I have tried some fawn in distress call's for hunting both mule deer and predators. I found that the mule deer does come in pretty regularly to the fawn in distress call and would think some cow elk would do the same for a calf in distress call. I am going to have to get out into the mountains and give this tactic a try and see how it works.
    mule deer are curious, they will come in to most anything, If there is not a lot of pressure on them.. not every time of coarse but I often have them come in when I am calling coyotes with a rabbit distress call.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12