Thread: Rem 742

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 20 Posts

Rem 742

Hello all,

I recently acquired an used Rem 742 in 30-06. According to the serial# it was manufactured in 1979.

Took it out to the range the other day and it worked just fine.

What can anyone tell me about this firearm. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 450 Times in 122 Posts
    Well made and pretty reliable. The one thing I know is they can be a little fussy about reloads. If you reload, I would full length size the cases the first time and then only use cases you have shot in it. Also not as accurate as bolt actions. Keep it clean and it should do just fine.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 7 Posts
    I shot my first animal (black bear) and my first buck with my dad?s Remington 742 in 30-06. He shot an elk and some deer with it. Neither of us cared too much for it and he eventually traded it off. It was the carbine version with an 18.5 inch barrel and it was muzzle light and difficult to shoot offhand. It was handy in brush though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    My dad purchased around one back around 1980 when arthritis in his hands made it difficult for him to use his Winchester Model 88. He killed allot of deer with it. It was always a very accurate and reliable gun but you do have to keep them clean and as CC mentioned use quality ammo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Was my Grandpa’s favorite rifle. Always went bang, just fair accuracy. Be a fine deer and elk rifle to moderate range, further if yours is more accurate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Ive found that the rifle works well, the reloads issue can be resolved with a "small base" resizing die. They are availablle from all the manufacturers. Ive had to do this with levers,pumps and autos. Its a small price to pay for relaibility.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 62 Posts

At times you can get away from purchasing the small base dies by just full length sizing the cases, don't even think of just neck sizing them.

Then if you still have problems cambering the loads then go to the small base dies.

I loaded for my brother in laws 760 for years and got away with just the full length sizing. However once the rounds were reloaded we ran each and every one of them through the rifle to make sure that there was no cambering problems. We did run into a a few out of every 100 that would cause a problem.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post: