Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Elk hunting pack question

I have used a Horn Hunter Full Curl pack for the last 3 or 4 seasons. And while it was way better than slinging elk quarters over my shoulder like I did before I just keep thinking there has got to be better. I helped a buddy haul out a bull this year with it and was sore for a week. I know that?s hard work getting a bull out but I just can?t help thinking it didn?t need to be that bad. I like the set up of the horn hunter and how I can use it for a day pack and to haul but I am starting to look at other options. The weight of the horn hunter is also an issue. Is there really that big of a difference between what I have now and a mystery ranch or kuiu pack? I have looked at those and and see that the mystery ranch seems to be heavy and more expensive than the kuiu and just wonder if the money is worth the upgrade from the horn hunter and if the mystery ranch is worth the extra money and weight over the kuiu. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 857 Times in 149 Posts
    IMO Kuiu isn’t the best choice. The materials they are made out of is unimpressive for the cost. I can’t speak for MR.

Take a look at Stone Glacier for a high end cost pack if weight is a big deal for you. Also look at Eberlestock for a moderately priced pack. The Big top and Little Big top are within reason for weight and is made out of high grade materials that will last.

Both packs can be used to haul heavy loads and fit my back well.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 249 Times in 25 Posts
    Ive ran an Exo pack for years now and will continue to do so. If you are going to spend money and get a quality pack, do it right and get a good one. Two of my friends have Kuiu packs.. and both with be picking up exo packs this year because of quality and comfort. Exo, stone glacier, kifaru are all top quality companies worth looking at, and id really suggest going by the statement; buy once, cry once. A good pack is like good boots, worth its weight in gold when you are really using it and realizing the difference between high quality or cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 773 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 327 Times in 72 Posts
    Sound advice already. I have some friends who have Kuiu packs. They all love my Kifaru.

Exo, Stone Glacier and Kifaru is what I tested out. On my back test. I ended up going with the Kifaru due to how it fit me better than the others. Any of the above are tailorable to ANY hunting season, any style of hunting or any game big or small.

Your statement above is also spot on. It shouldn't hurt when done right. You get what you pay for. For me, wish I spent the coin a few years back.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the replies. I was under the influence (not sure from where but just always thought it) that Mystery Ranch was THE BEST! I was just skeptical of them because of the weight differences but if it rides and carries better the weight probably isn’t an issue. It sounds like you guys are not recommending MR or is that just because I brought up the weight issue?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 18 Posts
    I have a Sitka pack and it works well for me.
    Very comfortable even with a heavy load.
    I think the most important thing is how it fits YOU ... not which brand you buy.
    I'd recommend going to a big outlet store, Cabela's/Bass Pro, etc and trying on a bunch of them.
    Try and find what fits you the best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 11 Posts
    I have a Mystery Ranch Marshal and a Kuiu Icon pro3200. The Mystery ranch is a better pack then the kuiu. It handles heavy loads better and is a lot more durable. The only downside of the Mystery Ranch is that its heavy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 7 Posts
    Check out Blacks Creek. Made in Idaho..I have their Lumbar pack and love it..several buddies have their bigger ones and I have heard nothing but praises from them...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 217 Times in 40 Posts
    I'm a fan of Exo and Kifaru, the ones I've tried of the big names. I like my Exo 3500 for 90% of my hunting the best. If I'm going to carry something real heavy or bulky the Kifaru is best. Elk hunting I'd pick the Exo if I was to only own one. As I have it set up now I'd pack the first load to the truck in the Exo and then go back in with the Kifaru tactical frame and Nomad 2 bag to haul the rest. I can fill the batwing pockets of the Kifaru with water bottles and anything else I need and head back in simple and easy.

Exo is coming out with a new series of packs this summer. I'd bet when they do the forums will be full of used K2 frame packs being sold by people wanting the new version. It might be a great time to get a deal on a great pack.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 04-12-2019 at 04:19 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    IMO Kuiu isn’t the best choice. The materials they are made out of is unimpressive for the cost. I can’t speak for MR.

Take a look at Stone Glacier for a high end cost pack if weight is a big deal for you. Also look at Eberlestock for a moderately priced pack. The Big top and Little Big top are within reason for weight and is made out of high grade materials that will last.

Both packs can be used to haul heavy loads and fit my back well.
    Can you be specific about the materials you reference?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast