Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 267 Times in 63 Posts

Hunting License you regretted buying?

Looking back at it I really regret some of my license purchases.

Maybe a license you regretted burning points on or something/somewhere you just didn't enjoy. Not mentioning specifics. Just maybe something you wish you would have not done. I know a lot of mine cost me some serious money over the years. I wish I had that money back.

Anyone else have one?

I know a guy who accidentally spent 8 points on a cow tag by entering the wrong code on his paper form years ago.

I regret spending 5 points on a license in Colorado for muzzleloader in an OTC Archery unit.

I regret buying a NR hunting license in West Virginia. Low deer numbers in the Kanawha State forest. That was a big waste of money.

I regret buying a NR fishing license in West Virginia. The fishing in the Kanawha river really sucked and I went back several times to verify it lol .

I regret applying for WY sheep, goat and moose points

I regret buying VT preference points for moose.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 256 Times in 102 Posts
    Mine haven?t been licenses, but gear....
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 6 Posts
    I have bought some stupid tags but I can?t say I regret it. Normally I get to see new country and I don?t think I will ever regret time I get to spend doing what I love even if it wasn?t a wise choice. I could see a mistake as mentioned above be frustrating. But you can always make more money so I try not to regret any tags or time spent afield.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 274 Times in 63 Posts
    I'll have to say that I have never regretted any of the tags that I have drawn or purchased. There have been a couple that I wished that I had the points back on, such as a 14 point draw for a antelope tag here in Colorado. It dumped buckets of rain for 5 days straight after 2 nice days on the opening. My grizzly tag in British Colombia, the bears were no where to be found and in 9 days I only had one black bear within shooting distance.

But overall all of the hunts that I have been on have been fun even if I didn't fill my tag, even that grizzly hunt and the antelope hunt here in Colorado that I spent 14 points on.

Now on gear, I have a garage full of the stuff. I have used all of it at one time or another but I have a lot of it that hasn't been touched in over 20 years except to move from one spot to another.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 466 Times in 123 Posts
    I really can't think of a tag that I wished I hadn't applied for. The only one I wish I had done different was a Wyoming guided elk hunt. I had NR 6 points and after looking at the odds, I was going to apply for the tag as a 2nd choice so I wouldn't burn my points on a tag that didn't require points. The outfitter talked me into burning the points by applying for the unit as a first choice. He told me if I applied as a 2nd choice, I probably wouldn't get the tag and I would lose my deposit. That should have been my first clue as he also lied to me about several other things too, but that is another story.

One thing I do regret is not getting sheep fever when I was in my 20's (55 years ago) when tags were relatively easy to get (as compared to today) and I could chase them down in the mts!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-12-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 119 Times in 50 Posts
    nope. no regrets !
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 36 Posts
    No regrets, but a couple of very expensive vacations that ended up not qualifying as hunting trips by the time it was over.
    Ontario wolf hunt and my first alaska trip.
    I research things much better now.
    But still enjoyed every minute of the adventure.
    I'll keep putting in the ot and spending everything as long as I'm able

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    My main regret is the NR Arizona hunting licenses purchased to apply for tags that I really didn't have any chance of drawing.

I dropped out of that racket this year, and it felt good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 26 Posts
    I've never regretted a tag or license purchase. I have regretted not dedicating enough time/effort towards filling those tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 11 Posts

I'm on the fence about continuing to put in for Utah. The draw odds are so bad that I think I might be wasting my money.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast