Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 263 Times in 59 Posts

I am certainly not ragging on you guys for hunting them with your bows but stories like this are 100% why I dont hunt them with a bow.

I stuck a gobbler in archery season one year and it was a good shot buy he took to the air and got up above the branches and the last I saw of him he was gliding down into a clear-cut slashing a couple hundred yards away. I knew I had to have killed him so I went home and got the lab (Which may or may not have been illegal at the time, but I felt pretty bad about not being able to find him on my own) and we found him very dead in the middle of a huge brush pile a couple hours later.

I had hit the bird about as perfect as you would want to hit one with a muzzy 4 blade.

Total distance traveled -At least 200 yards.

Glad to see you guys are tearing them up!

Congrats!
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 04-19-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 248 Times in 99 Posts
    One of the most controversial topics in Turkey hunting is using bows. Many strong opinions out there.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 24 Posts
    This is only the 4th turkey I’ve shot with the bow, and I’ve gotten every one. Sure, the recovery was sloppy and very lucky, but so are some big game kills. I limited myself to 25 yards, and under most circumstances I can hit a golf ball every time at that range. In reality,an arrow strike in over half of a turkey’s body will result in a dead bird very quickly
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,253 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 276 Times in 91 Posts
    This may be alarming to some but I fancy myself to be extremely accurate at long range with a bow as I?ve discussed on here before. My furthest kill with the bow on a turkey was 74 yards. I?ve never lost one will stick and string. However I do typically hunt them with a shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    This may be alarming to some but I fancy myself to be extremely accurate at long range with a bow as I?ve discussed on here before. My furthest kill with the bow on a turkey was 74 yards. I?ve never lost one will stick and string. However I do typically hunt them with a shotgun.

I've shot 3 birds over 50 yards with my bow, recovering all of them. All 3 birds were clean up birds after a buddy had shot at a tom in the decoys. The only birds I've ever lost with a bow have all been within 15 yards.

This year, we enacted a head shots only rule, with using the bows. Its been really fun, and I like the idea of either a clean miss, or a pretty much instant kill. A strutting tom facing you makes for an excellent head/neck shot opportunity.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts

2019 Turkey Picture Thread

I started shooting large mechanicals at turkeys and haven?t lost one since switching (knock on wood). I don?t think any of them have even made it out of the spread that I can think of. I started bow hunting turkeys using coc heads years ago but I got sick of chasing after them so I switched to grim reapers. With front deploying blades the turkey takes a lot more of the shock from arrow impact rather than just zipping through them with coc. Usually knocks them off of their feet and they don?t make it far. If you are using coc heads and are having trouble with losing birds try a mechanical. Good luck!

A friend and I got a double this morning here in Iowa

Last edited by bowtech840; 04-19-2019 at 08:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bowtech840 For This Useful Post:

9. The Following 5 Users Say Congratulations to bowtech840 For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 65 Times in 10 Posts
    Busted my first eastern of the season this morning. I?ve been messing with this bird every morning for a week. He finally messed up this morning when he saw my jake decoy. Completed my first single season half slam haha.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cking13 For This Useful Post:

12. The Following 3 Users Say Congratulations to cking13 For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 24 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F21E4B3D-49D2-47EF-B7A3-320D3BDBD896.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	23381my son called this big guy in for his friend last night. 10 1/4” beard and spurs over 1”. It was the kid’s first turkey
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

15. The Following User Says Congratulations to CrimsonArrow For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 33 Posts
    Welp.. That's a wrap for my turkey season. hunted 5 days, killed 4, and called one in for a buddy. Get to play guide/caller now!

Hunted a farm this morning that I've had success on in the past. Set up under the tree where I shot one last spring. Bird starts gobbling across from me, pretty much in the same spot as last springs bird. Only problem is the field is way overgrown this year, last year it was a beautiful mowed pasture.
    The bird hammers it on the roost pretty good, before flying down and hanging out with his hens. By about 8am, with no ability to close the distance, and having a terrible strutting field in front of me, I was resigned to daydreaming.
    I was sitting there at 830, staring off into space, minding my own business, when I hear:
    TICK! boooooooommmmmmmmm!
    I was thinking I was hearing things, but then heard baabooommmmmmmmmmmm again, but couldnt tell where it was coming from. I finally got the turned around to check behind me. No strutter. Nothing in front of me. Maybe I'm hearing things...
    Baaaboommmmmmmm!!
    Look to my right, Oh, there he is. 150 yards away, in full strut. I yelp to him, he hammers out a gobble. I yelp a bit more excited, he hammers it again, then, out of nowhere, a hen cackles in front of me, jumps up and flies directly at me, and lands in my tree, 10 feet above me. OMG.. I'm screwed, hen right above me, gun sitting on the ground beside me... There's no way I'll be able to get my gun and not have her bust me. She starts calling, and he goes nuts.
    Over the next 5 minutes I slowly grab my gun and get it up, just in time for him to completely commit, and come racing in. Shot him at 15 yards with my old A5.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4735.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	23383
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts

I was able to get my daughter out in the field before church on Sunday. It was her first Turkey hunt and she loved it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20190421_065513.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	23384

19. The Following User Says Congratulations to 00BUCK For This Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123