Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ore hunter View Post
    do any of the gunison deer go south for winter?I put in for 77,78,711 and I think those deer migrate into new mexico for winter?but I'm not sure?
    I would say for the most part, no. The deer that summer up high and head south for the winter are not basin deer. Sure, there are probably some that travel and intermingle but that's the case with many herds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 62 Posts
    Go to the Colorado Hunting Atlas and take a look. It has a good set up to show you the migration patterns of mule deer that you can use for those units.

https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/...p=HuntingAtlas
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    Just a couple more thoughts.

I recently spent a 4 days living at 12,000 ft - skiing and scouting the high country of 74,75,76,66, and 65 from snowmachines and even got to take a look at some of the basins from the Silverton heli. Some good looking country that I will go back to for sure once the snow melts. In those units as well as what I saw in the sw corner the animals looked good as while they got a lot of snow they could get below the heavy snow. Been down I-70 recently (think 30's,40's,20's units) visiting the grandma in Glenwood and the animals will be just fine there as well. Sounds like the nw got more snow but I have not been up there.

Many places in Colorado - like just east of the divide where I live - the deer are just fine (I am looking at a group of about 40 deer right now out my window all fat and happy) they can walk down hill or into town to eat. The geography of the gunny basin is such that at a certain point the deer cant get any lower. The snow piles up and they get buried - literally. It usually only happens about 1 year in 10 but we have seen it now 2 of 3 years. Add in no vegetative growth on the winter range due to the drought last year and the basin just had the that "perfect ingredients" for the winter that was not easy on them.

As others have said some deer always make it and the genetics are there and the animals have the best early feed I have seen in quite a while over most of colorado. Or antler growth should be great this year.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 149 Times in 38 Posts
    do you think unit 444 deer will be effected,,they at on the north end of the gunison?that was my 2nd choice try?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 62 Posts
    I wouldn't say that 444 is on the north end of the Gunnison area.

The deer on 444 migrate down to Hwy 82 and not much further.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 33 Posts

There were scores of happy healthy deer along 82 a couple weeks ago. They've mostly moved back up now and didn't arrive until the very end of winter weather.
    Snowfall was not excessive here.
    Drawing second choice is not sure though. Didn't work for me last year. Didn't even get 1st choice on the 3rd season. Tag numbers have been cut back quite a bit the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12