Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 49 Posts

Gunnison Basin Winter

The winter kill in the Gunnison Basin will in the words of the CPW be "extreme" again. The 60's will fair better than the 50's but it is not good. I took a drive Sunday and saw over 50 dead deer then lost the stomach and gave up literally too many for the coyotes to eat. I saw 1 live fawn but many that were dead. It will be a stinky drive down 50 as there are literally 100's of dead deer on the road. Elk seemed to fair better. Next blizzard arrives today with over a foot of new snow.

At this point it is fair to say that we saw a catastrophic winter in both 2016 and 2018. Talk is of limiting tags further but in honesty they need to shut down every hunt in the basin for a couple of years I feel sorry for guys who put in this year as with 2 of 3 extreme winters yea it is going to be a real tough for the next few years.

Just sad.

V

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 27 Posts
    Hate to hear that. Thanks for the update.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 285 Times in 67 Posts
    Mother Nature can be pretty damned cruel thats for sure.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts
    Thanks for posting the update, sad as it is. I'll call and see if I can find out if the tags they actually give out gets slashed below what the recommendations were.

It's the Gunnison curse - great country, great genetics and occasional killer winters that really set things back. Having two in three years is just about the kiss of death short-term. But, there will still be some giants that survive to reproduce and build up the herd only to have it get hit again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 285 Times in 67 Posts
    How much snowfall total did you folks receive this year?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 277 Times in 21 Posts
    Several areas got over 60”.... in a week...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 124 Times in 12 Posts
    That’s a shame, There will be a whole lot of guys hunting a “blue chip” unit this year who will be very disappointed...maybe a few years before they earn that blue chip status again. I spend a week scouting/vacationing in Crested Butte every summer and another week hunting in October. I was shocked at the drop in deer #’s from ‘16 to ‘17, hate to think that the good fawn crop from last year might be wiped out, but thanks for the update.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 9 Posts
    I'll be interested to see what they do to the tags as well. I put in for a few zones around there. Definitely sad to hear how it's getting hammered and killing off the deer. Never like to hear that, especially with the fawns. Hopefully some more info will be available soon.
    "Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself." -unknown

Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 124 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoV View Post
    The winter kill in the Gunnison Basin will in the words of the CPW be "extreme" again. The 60's will fair better than the 50's but it is not good. I took a drive Sunday and saw over 50 dead deer then lost the stomach and gave up literally too many for the coyotes to eat. I saw 1 live fawn but many that were dead. It will be a stinky drive down 50 as there are literally 100's of dead deer on the road. Elk seemed to fair better. Next blizzard arrives today with over a foot of new snow.

At this point it is fair to say that we saw a catastrophic winter in both 2016 and 2018. Talk is of limiting tags further but in honesty they need to shut down every hunt in the basin for a couple of years I feel sorry for guys who put in this year as with 2 of 3 extreme winters yea it is going to be a real tough for the next few years.

Just sad.

V
    look on the bright side . could be the harsh winters is what developed the great genetics.

whatever don't kils ya makes ya stronger!
    Last edited by kidoggy; 04-11-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts

do any of the gunison deer go south for winter?I put in for 77,78,711 and I think those deer migrate into new mexico for winter?but I'm not sure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast