Thread: 1st TimeElk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

1st TimeElk

I have a Mathews z7 with a 60lb draw, 27.5? draw length. I?m shooting a 390 grain arrow at 255 FPS. Which puts out 55 ft lbs of KE. Some charts say I?m right in the middle of the suggested KE for elk, others say that?s a little light. It took me quite a while to achieve the product I have right now and I?m confident in this weapon for medium game for sure but concerned I might be disappointed after an unsuccessful elk hunt in 2020. I have time to purchase different equipment and gain confidence with something new but would like people?s thoughts on my current setup for elk and or bear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Not an expert but elk are big tough critters. I would go to a heavier arrow with a fixed blade cut on contact broadhead. If you limit your ranges and can place your arrow where it needs to be , you would probably be fine. Now if you need a reason to get a new bow and arrows, a heavier arrow and faster bow with more poundage would be nice too. I shoot a 500 gr arrow out of a 70# bow and am nowhere near a heavy setup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I think you'll be fine if you use a good cut on contact broadhead like a Magnus Stinger or a Vipertrick. If possible try upping your arrow weight to a 125 grain broadhead if you're not already. 415 grain arrow would help your setup out a little better for elk.

Quote Originally Posted by ELR View Post
    I have a Mathews z7 with a 60lb draw, 27.5? draw length. I?m shooting a 390 grain arrow at 255 FPS. Which puts out 55 ft lbs of KE. Some charts say I?m right in the middle of the suggested KE for elk, others say that?s a little light. It took me quite a while to achieve the product I have right now and I?m confident in this weapon for medium game for sure but concerned I might be disappointed after an unsuccessful elk hunt in 2020. I have time to purchase different equipment and gain confidence with something new but would like people?s thoughts on my current setup for elk and or bear.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanPickar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 199 Times in 18 Posts

Yep, what Dan said is spot on. I prefer 420 to 440. I have a 27" draw at 66lbs. Good luck!