Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts

I?ve run away from rising trout being chased by skeeters in the Medicine Bow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dos Perros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 4 Posts
    From my experience elk love beetle kill timber for transition from feeding to bedding areas. They feel secure in there and usually has excellent feed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanPickar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 292 Times in 96 Posts
    This is an excellent reason to stay focused in the "workout thread" portion of the forum. Can be life altering in more ways than one!

Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    I have no info on the area just a comment on safety and wind. I've only been scared in the woods once, like heart racing scared. I was hunting a beetle kill area that was roughly 5-7 years old I think. Lots of great shoot grass in there that all wildlife loved. Then the wind kicked up, snow started to blow, and the wind kicked up more. Trees were coming down all over. Loud as all hell. I unloaded my gun, slung it and started to run to the nearest edge. I ran to near exhaustion. It was just a plain bad idea to be in there with weather coming at me. Be safe.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    I have hunted a lot of beetle kill, and it has probably helped the elk in Colorado. Issue is going to be getting through it to hunt, but that is also good for the elk.

As for being scared during windy times, I have yet to hear of a tree falling on someone unless they were sleeping. They don't just explode and it isn't like a video game where they all fall at one time. Also, they are lodgepoles and don't tend to be overly large...if one is on its way down, step to the side...lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Access through the beetle kill will be tough, ID imagine there may be game trails I could follow or something. Just won't be as easy to bushwack straight through an area to get over a ridge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    I hunted the medicine bows on the Wyoming side. It was worth always having a small chainsaw and fuel in the ranger. Trees fell several times and blocked our way back out of areas we were exploring.
    This is a great point for those of us who roam a lot of forest service roads. I've seen trees fall even in areas without beetle kill. I have a big winch and the only time I ran across this myself I was able to winch it off. I also carry a chopping axe and bow saw - they take a lot longer than a chain saw but at least they'll get you out. Whatever you carry, plan for the worst!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to taskswap For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12