Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First Elk Hunt - SW Montana Late Nov. - Need Gear Recs!

Hey everyone. New to the forum.

I'm an avid hunter in middle TN, and have everything i need for this area and our seasons. I've signed up for a back country elk hunt 7 day in SW Montana. I am looking for gear recommendations. We will be hunting out of a base camp and on foot each day.

I know the brands, but I don't really have a good place around here to buy/test anything. So i'll be buying online.

Can you recommend your setup for the following:

Base layers
    Midweight Jacket
    Midweight pants
    Heavy jacket (do i need??)
    Heavy Pants (do i need??)
    Rain jacket
    rain pants
    pack

Anything else clothing wise that i might not be thinking about? I'll be buying hats and gloves, etc. Just not familiar with this area in this season.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I would get some technical gear if I were you. I can recommend Sitka Gear if you can afford it. Start shopping now and you'll be able to get some good deals. Some merino wool base layers, Kelvin Lite Hoody, and Jetstream vest, and a Jetstream jacket (windstopper). Get some long underwear depending on how warm blooded you are and the Timberline pant. I rarely use a rain pant or jacket, maybe to cut the wind is all. But that is what the windstopper is for in the Jetstream.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 36 Posts
    I prefer the outfiter wool stuff from cabelas, good water proff boots that you can cover ground in are a must.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 430 Times in 61 Posts
    I've had great luck with First-Lite base layers and Kuiu pants. I haven't upgraded mid layers and coat yet, but my old Woolrich fleece and Browning rain coat are still working great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 270 Times in 60 Posts

If I was you I wouldn't spend a lot of money on new clothes unless you plan on hunting this type of areas quite a bit to get the use out of them.

If I were to head up there at that time of year I wouldn't change up my outfit very much. I have a set of Cabela's Dry Plus bibs and 3 way jacket that can handle anything that you could throw at it. Other than that for my layers I would have one my lightweight long john bottoms and Levi's. If it starts to get cold or wet I put on the bibs. For a top I always dress light but then have a light weight sweatshirt and a heaver jacket that I can put on. If it gets wet or real cold I'll put on the outer Dry Plus coat. It is both real warm and waterproof.

If you are hiring a outfitter I would talk to them and see what they suggest for clothing. They will know a lot better than those of us that haven't hunted that area at that time of year.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post: