Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 126 Times in 17 Posts

The snow is really piling up

I am stoked about all of the snow we're getting. The snow is up to my waist around the house. The lakes will be full this year, plenty of moisture everywhere and the sledding has been awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 505 Times in 131 Posts
    We have a a lot rain down here in the 4 corners area and lots of it has melted in the sagebrush country. More snow forecast for next week We are at 120% of normal.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    As long as it doesn't crust over and stay to long, it should make for a good spring.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 129 Times in 26 Posts
    Great for skiing!!!
    For many hunters the stigma of being unsuccessful has become so unbearable that the satisfaction of the hunt itself has become lost...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    All the Deer and Elk are going to be killed in the Avalanche's lol and hunting season will be cancelled lol

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,196 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 257 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disabled Combat Vet View Post
    All the Deer and Elk are going to be killed in the Avalanche's lol and hunting season will be cancelled lol
    That?s funny ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about the deer and the elk but think about all of the bear dens that are being burred in all that snow. It might be August before they get out and see the sunshine.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 49 Posts
    IMO folks should start to pay attention.. While much of the state is ok the areas/units that got hit hardest in 2017 are again taking a beating.

The extreme winter that forced the cpw to cut 50% or more tags in 2017 did have a real effect on the mule deer.. Everyone agrees on that. 2018 winter was nonexistent but unfortunately with no snow or rain we saw the drought of last summer where the winter range saw very little to no growth. Many ranchers in the area chose not to turn out their cows as the feed was that bad. Now a 140% snowpack that was wet and heavy with now with a solid crust. All the animals are packed on what little area is left and with no summer growth feed is just not there. OR fair to say this winter will not be "normal" or "easy" but has transitioned into "hard" and could well turn south from there.

Heavy wet snow for 3-4 days just ended this week and just enough time to dig out with another 3-4 days of snow starting late today tomorrow.. Yea this has been another big winter and the animals at this point need a break that they will not get this week at least.

Skiing and time in the backcountry has been great up until this week when we got so much snow that the avalanche danger was the worst I have seen in 20 years. It will settle but just shows how much snow we have gotten lately.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the deer and the elk .
    I think we are going to see some issues with both due to the snow this year. Denver news had video of elk struggling to move in deep snow just this week. Up in NW Wyoming and SW Montana the weather has been brutal. That could easily result in winter kill, especially if we get more extreme cold/snow in the next couple months.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 24 Posts

Are the big snows hitting the front range too now. I heard that they had very little snow around Rocky Mt. Park as of a month ago?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast