Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 115 Times in 21 Posts

Colorado Deer 54 or 68

I have decided to burn some CO deer points in 2019. I have 3 points and wanted to get some input from the CO members or others who have hunted either unit 54 or 68/681 during the second season.

If you have information you could/would share, please feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone ???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I had a few buddies hunt 3rd season in 68 last fall and they went 4/4 nothing real big but all respectable nice bucks. 150-170. They were able to have a fun hunt.
    Last edited by Bocephus; 03-07-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations

68-681,682-deer

Bochephus: Did they see any bigger ones? Did they scout prior to season? How many days did they hunt? Thanks,Roundball

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They did see some other better bucks, but weren't able to get on them. They hunted the entire 3rd season hunt. Lots of bucks like the ones they killed, just needed one or two more years. Wish they could hunt it again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 276 Times in 20 Posts
    Don't over think it. Pick a unit and scout, there are 150-170 and bigger in every unit in CO

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts
    Success-wise they're pretty similar. 54 is about 40% wilderness and is the more rugged hunt and probably has the higher top end.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 49 Posts
    This winter is not easy and again will be in my estimation very hard on the deer the elk will fair much better. One of your choices did not get hammered as hard in the winter of 2017 then again this year. The other did. That alone should make the choice easy.

I love it when folks say things like "higher top end".. I was in both units last year and not even sure what that means.. Sounds like folks read too many magazines and believe what is in them lol....

As was said dont think to much pick one but 2 of 3 not hard but extreme winters would be my deciding factor. Take it for what it is worth but real boots on the ground data from that certain basin that will not be named or guys who actually live there/know are seeing about 30%+ less bucks than they were before the big winter kill of 17 and now and over 65% decline in 200"+ bucks. Unfortunately after this winter this trend will continue for a few years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you all for the replies. I'll be putting in soon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoV View Post
    This winter is not easy and again will be in my estimation very hard on the deer the elk will fair much better. One of your choices did not get hammered as hard in the winter of 2017 then again this year. The other did. That alone should make the choice easy.

I love it when folks say things like "higher top end".. I was in both units last year and not even sure what that means.. Sounds like folks read too many magazines and believe what is in them lol....

As was said dont think to much pick one but 2 of 3 not hard but extreme winters would be my deciding factor. Take it for what it is worth but real boots on the ground data from that certain basin that will not be named or guys who actually live there/know are seeing about 30%+ less bucks than they were before the big winter kill of 17 and now and over 65% decline in 200"+ bucks. Unfortunately after this winter this trend will continue for a few years.
    30% fewer bucks would be great considering there are 50% fewer tags.

Whenever I hear people talk about 200" bucks I shake my head. Most guys have never even seen a true 200" buck unless you're talking a whole lot of trash, let alone seen 65% fewer 200" bucks, as if people saw 100 200" bucks 2 years ago and this year they've only seen 35.

Lots of bucks don't get entered into Boone & Crockett, but in the last 10 years the number of 200" typicals entered from the entire state of Colorado is 8. Of those, 1 came from Gunnison or Saguache Counties, 2 if you round up. In 10 years.

On nontypicals, Colorado puts in 5/year for the whole state. During those 10 years, the number of 200" nontyicals entered from the Gunnison Basin is 1 - total. Of course, since 215 is the minimum score for nontypicals, more were probably shot that were between 200 and 215. Let's say that for that 1 entry, there were 19 more that were 200-215. That's still 2 deer a year. Let's then say that there are as many people that don't enter their deer as do. Now, we're up to 4 deer a year for the entire Basin plus the parts of Saguache outside the Basin.

And there are enough 200" bucks running around for people to say what percentage their numbers are down the last two years? Fish stories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast