Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 276 Times in 20 Posts

More bucks get shot and not entered than you think hoshour...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Lots of winter range data gets taken also just by glassing and combined with the helo flyover data. I'd challenge anyone to walk in the same tracks as ColV for one season. The guy sees it every year, takes pics of them all year, videos them all year. From his front porch no less. He's legit.

I was not paid to say that.

For all the newbies reading. Stats and data are only starting points to put boots on the ground. Eastmans MRS, Go Hunt etc etc etc all compile the data in great formats to help with solid first decisions. But they are solid first decisions......and nothing more until you see the GMU for yourself.

That was not meant to be a rant.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Lots of winter range data gets taken also just by glassing and combined with the helo flyover data. I'd challenge anyone to walk in the same tracks as ColV for one season. The guy sees it every year, takes pics of them all year, videos them all year. From his front porch no less. He's legit.

I was not paid to say that.

For all the newbies reading. Stats and data are only starting points to put boots on the ground. Eastmans MRS, Go Hunt etc etc etc all compile the data in great formats to help with solid first decisions. But they are solid first decisions......and nothing more until you see the GMU for yourself.

That was not meant to be a rant.
    Well, I can get on a rant once in a while. I think very highly of ColoradoV, just saying that I hear so many guys talking about 200" bucks and the vast majority over-estimate the size. There are just not many out there. Gunnison for sure lost a lot of deer a couple winters ago and he has a good point, 68 is a very good area that did not get hit as hard, but I've been forwarded a couple pics of 54 deer lately and they were awesome. Either area is good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Oh I agree with ya on the over estimation stuff. Lots of untrained no experienced eyes out there. I think though the data collection and selling business has just created a nice little niche market for the NR that has to scout and make decisions from far away. I get it we are in America, it's legal and it's a business so I got no issues with that.

States though with no mandatory checks.........I think people do not realize just how far off some of the data is. No disrespect intended Hos.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    I have never heard of a hunter giving a accurate correct question on the hunt surveys.

I know that years ago even when we went through checkpoints in Utah the folks that I was with always told them that the deer were shot in a different area than the one that we were hunting.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 49 Posts
    Did not mean to come off wrong. Or dont take it personal hos i did not mean it that way - I was just making a joke about the general state of things before the colorado draw. What is on forums, written, sold, and the lot. "Higher top end potential" - kinda got me before coffee or just thinking - so I guess the new world record nt (to me quite ugly) area has the highest "top end" potential? I dont know.. Maybe.

Moral of my post was that everyone but locals (including the cpw) missed how bad the winter was in 08, in 2016 the winterkill happened but the reaction was better, and this year many folks overlooked it due to more casual build up of snowpack. I dont pay attention to the "book" to much but your numbers show that the entire geographic region is down. Or some areas have had worse winters than others.

Yep the way cpw gathers data is almost criminal at times or I agree that every single post hunt survey is filled out 100% accurate just as accurate as every buck is entered... Things will stay this way as with accurate info has a downside to cpw that or well lots of folks are comfortable with the way it is.

100% agree that 200" bucks are a anomaly in this day and age something to be given the highest level respect. As is life any information offered can be believed or not simple as that. Looking over a couple of past posts yea the inches quotes are getting old from me I will stick with vernacular such as big or very big bucks.

Thx slugs - Feel very fortunate to live where/do what I do as far as judging deer fair to say I am around deer more days than not. I have set up my life to scout 20 ish days all over for deer the hope to hunt one I enjoy the process and look forward to it again.

Just for future reference lol - here is a shed that my 7 year old just found.. On private land as this is CO but she does have a broken leg. Have not thrown the old "tape" on it - not sure if it would go "book" but I would say it is - at least in my world - nudging right up against if not over that very big buck level....

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I have never heard of a hunter giving a accurate correct question on the hunt surveys.

I know that years ago even when we went through checkpoints in Utah the folks that I was with always told them that the deer were shot in a different area than the one that we were hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts
    I have to laugh when I look at the MT harvest results, there are always units with more kills than tags. You hope the lies are somewhere close to leveling out with large numbers and I think they probably are. I report the actual unit and I think most guys do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I’ve given many accurate hunt reports and phone interviews to a multitude of states over the years. So now you know of one accurate hunt reporter, lol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim McCoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 24 Posts

Minnesota used to require that all deer be registered in person at a check station. This was a real PIA. They fixed it, and now you just call in with your tag number and you are given a number to put on your carcass tag. The state now has all the harvest info, and it's pretty hard to cheat on it. A similar system would give CO all the true stats that it needs.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast