Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

24 NR pts for elk. CO unit 61 ML or 76 Early rifle or ?

I've got 24 points for elk and have looked at 851, 40, 61, and 76. I was holding out for 1, 2, 10, or 201 but finally realized that I'll never draw any of those in my lifetime (I'm 71). 851 is a crapshoot for transient bulls, 40 is almost all private and the outfitters are expensive so I've narrowed it to 61 ML or 76 early rifle. 61 may have the edge on size of bulls 310-330 vs 300-320 for 76 but not by much. Since I'm going solo, don't know the country, and don't want to waste 24 pts, I'm thinking I'll probably go guided. I like the country in 76 better and have talked to a couple of outfitters there that do very well on 300-320 bulls. I've got a 310 from UT and passed on 320s hoping for a 350+ on a LE hunt. Was hoping for a 350+ bull in CO but looks like I'll have to lower my expectations and just be glad to still be hunting at my age. Any suggestions on units or outfitters would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    For 61 check out Garvey Brothers. They have been outfitting in 61 for quite a while and have horses for the packout.

https://garveybrothersoutfitters.com/
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks. I'l give them a call. Their website shows some really nice bulls!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    Wow, 24 points is a bunch. I did 76 solo Archery two years ago, I would cringe using 24 points but in CO your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If your going guided in 76 Frazier would be who I would go with https://frazieroutfitting.com/hunting/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Don K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 6 Posts
    Sptsman4, I hunted 1st rifle 76 with friends back in 2016. We hunted a pretty small area on south end of the unit and killed two 300" class 6x6 bulls in 3 days. Hunted an area that was not too steep, drove around after the hunt for a day to check out the entire unit, from what I could see 76 would be great hunt but I think may be more physical than a 61 hunt. If you do your research there are many areas that would be easier to access and the vertical climb would be much easier depending on your physical abilities for a 61 hunt. My dad was 70 when we did his 61 muzzy hunt and 8 days of hunting hard kicked his butt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I talked to Frazier. It was bought by Davis last year but still seems to be run about the same. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. Any areas you could recommend in 76? From what I've read most of the roads in 61 are on the ridges and the elk are in the bottoms so it would still take some serious packing. But, the hills are a lot smaller and not nearly as steep as most of 76. Yes, 2 days of scouting and 6 days of hunting deer in 22 last year did kick my butt (at least what was left after it nearly froze off).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Factor in the elevation in 76 also...I'd do 61. Been in 76. If going guided then 40 over both.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to elkmo41 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 654 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 436 Times in 50 Posts
    No brainer, you want to hunt 61 muzzy. I burned 23 points on it a few years back. The place is an elk zoo. Pretty much any place I got a 1/4 mile off a road I started gettin into elk. It's crazy how many people drive the road. I saw only one other hunter while hunting off the road.

The one thing I would check is how the fire has affected the unit. If it were me I wold want to hunt 3 years after the burn to hit the peak.

I'd recommend you look at Garvey or Weimers if you are going outfitted.

If I were paying for an outfitter however, I would probably push the budget a bit more and hunt private in 40.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-03-2019 at 08:48 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks. How big a bull did you get and how far did you have to pack it? I'm thinking with a 4WD and an ATV I can get where most of the outfitters go and I've got all of the gear and have hunted elk for 50 years and killed my share. Only thing is I'd probably have to hire an outfitter to pack it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast