Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd love to hunt 40 but the only outfitters I'm aware of charge between $8 to 16000 for a 5 day hunt and have a 1 or 2 year wait. I've always been a DIY public-land hunter so that's a little steep for me and too long to wait. From what I've seen most of the 40 bulls run 310 to 340 and I think both 61 and 76 have bulls of the same caliber--just not as many or as easy to find.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    For 61 the roads are on top of the hills, nothing down into the canyons that the elk are living in. Likewise there are no ATV trails either.

For the ML the outfitters camp up on top and then go in by foot. Then if they get a elk they will pack it out on horses.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I called Garvey and they sound like a great outfitter. A nice tented camp you can drive to and they allow extra days at no charge if you don't harvest in the 5 day hunt--just might not be guided but by then I'll probably know the country pretty well and they will pack it out too. Their rate is the same as the outfitters I've talked to in 76.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Dustin Garvey is a great guy. Their tents are nice with cots and foam mattresses along with Coleman lanterns inside. Great food and guides. You won't go wrong if you choose them. As long as it is good weather you can drive a 2 wheel drive truck into their camp but if it is bad I would prefer a 4x4.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    side note, makes me wonder about continuing to build points for CO Elk vs. cashing them in on a lesser unit, I think I have about 10 points at the moment?

Especially when we're talking 24 plus points for a decent elk? compared to other states?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    side note, makes me wonder about continuing to build points for CO Elk vs. cashing them in on a lesser unit, I think I have about 10 points at the moment?

Especially when we're talking 24 plus points for a decent elk? compared to other states?
    For Colorado:
    If you are horn hunting....use the 10 in a quality unit.....plenty of options with 10 points.
    If you are trophy hunting......hope you are young .......keep banking the points.

I've heard nothing but people praising Garvey's outfit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Personally, I'd burn them in the best unit you can draw and hunt hard. Have seen real nice bulls in OTC units even. Get hunting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 654 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 436 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sptsman4 View Post
    Thanks. How big a bull did you get and how far did you have to pack it? I'm thinking with a 4WD and an ATV I can get where most of the outfitters go and I've got all of the gear and have hunted elk for 50 years and killed my share. Only thing is I'd probably have to hire an outfitter to pack it out.
    I hired the Weimer's uncle for like $400 to pack my bull out with horses. I recall his name was Jody Weimer, but I'm not positive. I had it all set up before the hunt started. As others have mentioned you hunt from the ridges where the roads are and go on foot into the canyons. I had my legitimate chance at a 350-360 bull at 15 yards only to have the rifle go "click" and find the primer had fallen out. The next day I called in a solid 6 point (300 class??) and with my wife with me that day I decided to shoot it. I've been on some pretty terrific elk hunts and I would put 61 muzzy right up there just from the sheer fun I had calling in bulls.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 3 Posts
    I hunted 76 archery solo in 2017 and would echo what others have said about the terrain being very challenging. Had a great hunt with tons on bugling. I did hear of several people that took off early (after burning lots of points) because they were just not in shape to go high and consider packing out an elk. So with as many pts as you have, and considering it's your once-in-a-lifetime draw, an outfitter would be great if you can afford it. I think I'd lean towards 61 just from what I've read and heard but I have no experience in 61.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts

Correction on public land in unit 40 - it is 60% according to onXmaps. The unit has some great bulls - there's a reason it takes 23 points in 1st season.

I don't personally know outfitters in 40 but the CO Outfitters Assoc. lists 3, one of which, 2V only does $15k hunts on RFW land. The other two, Mark Davies and Joe Keys are priced pretty reasonably but I have heard no feedback on either. Anybody here heard anything?

Also, the SW Regional Hunting Guide put out by CPW makes note that "GMU 76 offers great bull hunting for those willing to wait to draw a license. The unit, however, doesn’t produce trophy-quality animals that are found in other limited units in Colorado." I think a lot of guys will disagree with that.

On Unit 61, I've heard a lot of praise, but one guy I know with a great track record thinks it is overrated for big bulls.
    Last edited by hoshour; 03-21-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast