Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 283 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet Jack View Post
    Just payed $100.75 for my 26th no res elk pref pt last night. Honestly, I think it sucks. If I had it to do over again I would have never started accumulating points in Colorado to begin with.
    You ever kept track of how much total money over the years it cost you to accumulate those 26 points?

Just curious.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 5 Posts
    For 24 years worth of points I believe it cost me between $5 to $10 a year to apply. With that I had to send the full cost of tag ($400 plus) and they would hold onto my money for several months before returning it even though I was only applying for pref points. Last year when things changed I believe they charged me a total of $53. Now this year $100.75 and I don't believe it will be getting any cheaper in the near future. Not to mention I am not getting any younger with this point creep. I feel like I am caught in a Ponzi scheme.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hatchet Jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,333 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    Unsure of your age, and I mean no disrespect, but I'd pick a Tier II unit you can draw and go hunt and have fun. I'm sure you will draw one of the premiere units in the state. If going outfitted, they'll get you on elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 224 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    Unsure of your age, and I mean no disrespect, but I'd pick a Tier II unit you can draw and go hunt and have fun. I'm sure you will draw one of the premiere units in the state. If going outfitted, they'll get you on elk.
    I'd do the same. I'd pick a good unit and go kill an elk.

Good luck to you!
    "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

6. The Following User Says Thank You to graybird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    I had my brother in law do it this year. He was another 5 years out before he could draw the deer tag that he really wanted so I started to shop around to find a quality unit and season where he could draw this year with points to spare.

Now when he comes to visit after this year all he'll have to purchase is a non resident fishing license for a few days.

A lot of non residents really need to take a hard look at the units that they are trying to draw and see if the trophy quality that they are looking for is realistic along with being worth the wait and expense. I did this a few years ago on my elk tag. I looked at the unit that I really wanted and it was another 5-7 years away not counting the point creep. I then went to my second choice and wasn't disappointed in the hunt or the quality of animals.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
    I'd do the same. I'd pick a good unit and go kill an elk.

Good luck to you!
    I am 57 years old. I thought would have cashed in on my points by now. I have other hunting plans for the next couple of years. I have already accepted the fact that I will most likely be in my Sixties by the time I draw one of the prime NW units for a muzzleloader hunt. Until then I will be doing a DIY Alaska moose/caribou hunt this year and sneak in some Wyoming and Idaho elk hunts the next couple of years after that. I figured I came this far, I might as well wait. Just not crazy about how much I need to spend for a stinkin' preference point now.
    Does anyone know what year Colorado started doing preference points and what the maximum points would be for a guy who would have started collecting since the first year?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    I've been a resident of Colorado now for 32 years and there has always been a point system that I know of. I remember way back when thinking of unit 61 elk hunting but figured why do that when I could hunt other units over the counter.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 20 Posts
    I'm not sure exactly which NW Corner GMU you're going after but according to the CPW Elk Stats here's some info from last year:
    - EE001E1R someone drew the nonres tag with 26 points ... there was 1 other nonres with 26 points but none more points than that. So you're getting very close on drawing that.
    - EE002E1R you're not so close. They gave 5 nonres tags, 4 to 27 points holders and 1 to a 26 point holder ... but it shows 13 total applicants with 26 points so there's still a dozen remaining.
    - EE010E1R they gave 5 nonres tags, 1 to a 27 point holder and 4 to 26 points holders and it shows 13 total applicants with 26 points so there's still about 9 remaining.
    - EE201E1R you are not close ... there are plenty of nonres applicants with 26, 27 and even 28 points.

That's what the stats show.
    Of course, there are probably also other guys with lots of points who didn't apply last year and aren't even in these stats.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 27 Posts
    Man, I feel sorry for all you guys with 20-something points who can't draw a tag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I've been a resident of Colorado now for 32 years and there has always been a point system that I know of. I remember way back when thinking of unit 61 elk hunting but figured why do that when I could hunt other units over the counter.
    Jim,

It had to have been about the time you moved there. I lived in the Palisade/GJ area from 1979 until 2005 and we hunted 61/61 since 1975. My brother started there in the mid 60's. My son is 46 now and he hunted the first couple of years in 61 as an over the counter. He had to be 14 back then to hunt elk.

Randy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast