Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choke tube

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 10 Posts

In my experience hunting and killing turkeys for almost 30 years I would use an extra-full choke. If you get a chance take a look at the NWTF still target championship results from the last few years. They list the choke and shell combinations of the winning contestants. No full chokes there. I also worked with the California State Chapter of the NWTF during still target competitions at 40 yards. Folks brought all kinds of guns and chokes. The best patterns always came from extra-full chokes. I have also found that higher velocity 1300 fps or more trumps heavy 2 oz. loads that travel slower every time for clean kills. I will be trying the new TSS shells in 7 and 9 shot this year. I have friends that use them and swear by them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 18 Posts
    Check out the Review we did for Wingmen on TSS
    https://www.wingmen.us/single-post/2...S-From-Federal

Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I think I'm gonna shoot Apex TSS #9 this spring. The 9's hit with the same energy as 5 lead, I'm thinking that will be a nasty pattern clear out to 50 yards. I've never shot a bird further than 30 yards, so it's probably overkill.... But, I like my turkeys to not even flop.
    https://www.wingmen.us/single-post/2...S-From-Federal

Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations

My dos pesos...
    0-40 yards... full choke is fine.
    0-60 yards and the better all around choice is a choke with around a .665 constriction (extra full), lots of companies make these; my favorite is Patternmaster and Carlson's... I ran a .650 Indian Creek for several years and it was wicked but unforgiving.

If I'm killing birds up close (inside of 20 yards) I like Modified or even IC, especially when reaping as those super tight patterns can be tough to hit a bird in the head with inside of 20 yards.

Any of the TSS loads are incredible and well worth the money for certain, our favorite being the Federal Premium loads.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to THelms For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12