Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choke tube

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Choke tube

I have a Remington 870 12 GA. Express, I'm going Turkey hunting for the first time. I bought a Full Rem Choke. Is that good enough or should I get a Extra Full Choke. I'm not sure how much Turkey hunting I will be doing after this hunt.

Thank You

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 785 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Many different opinions on this. The full that came with it is fine in my opinion. If you are gonna put a dot sight or higher end sight on it I would get a turkey choke. My Remington 1187 with a turkey choke gets me roughly a 9 inch diameter of pellets at 50 yards. Very accurate and is great at hitting them in a raised up head at longer ranges. I hunt them in the mountains so I look for every little gain I can get. If I'm on the plains only I'd probably only use my full choke. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hey, I tried sending you a PM but your box is full lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 505 Times in 131 Posts
    Full choke with lead shot should do fine.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 785 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    In box cleaned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    You'll be fine, but it is fun to buy and tinker. I'm killing them with a bow, so you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    I've been hunting Turkeys for over twenty years now. They are very tough birds and seem to find holes in patterns. That being said your combo will work though not ideal. You will need to be close.

The main problem is that if the birds are grouped up or close together your set up could drop multiple birds.

Be patient and and wait for the right opportunity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 151 Times in 38 Posts
    Keep it inside 40 yards and you'll be fine. My wife shoots turkeys with a modified and I pretty much never shoot more than a full. I shot two last year with a Carlsons midrange waterfowl choke..
    I'd buy some of the higher density bismuth or TSS shotshells before I bought a new choke. High density loads in 6 or 7 shot will easily kill a bird at 40, with a full choke.
    Last edited by Fink; 02-19-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 285 Times in 67 Posts
    I enjoy the "Wiggle room" of a full choke for turkeys. Using 3.5" HV #5 Winchesters I have had very good luck.

I do have a couple XXX-full COMP-N-CHOKES as well. They are nice. But admittedly, years ago I missed a bird at 25 yards with that tight choke....then the gun jammed. wosh wosh wosh....never to be seen again. lol All I can figure is he moved his head down right as I shot....I'll never know. Would I have been better with a full? Probably. It would have been even better if my gun had not jammed and I could have easily killed the bird with the second shot as it took flight....

Pattern the gun to see what it really looks like with he full and like Fink said keep it within 40 yards and you should be good.

The TSS #7's would be interesting to see how they preformed with a modified choke. It may be the cats pajamas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 151 Times in 38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post

The TSS #7's would be interesting to see how they preformed with a modified choke. It may be the cats pajamas.
    I think I'm gonna shoot Apex TSS #9 this spring. The 9's hit with the same energy as 5 lead, I'm thinking that will be a nasty pattern clear out to 50 yards. I've never shot a bird further than 30 yards, so it's probably overkill.... But, I like my turkeys to not even flop.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast