Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

Planning my move to Fairbanks

If you were to give any advice on someone moving to Fairbanks what would your top 3 things be?

I have a job opportunity to move to Fairbanks and work at an AF base.
    I will be retiring from the USMC in April and going to a couple months of training for the job in Florida, then immediately heading to Fairbanks.

I'm an avid outdoorsman who grew up in Wyoming so the cold isn't a scare for me, but going up there solo means I don't even know what I don't know and I don't know anyone up there.
    Its always been a dream of mine to live in Alaska, but this is moving so fast I have to really do some research and I'm trying to eliminate as many snags as possible

Ive heard the best option for winterizing my truck (2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the gas engine) is to just get it done by the pros when I get there. I will be buying an enclosed trailer to haul all of my firearms and other critical items I cant have shipped by the moving company.
    I plan on trying to rent an apartment for a few months to try and figure out the are I want to focus on buying a house in.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Money, Money and More Money.

Its expensive to live up there.

Bring a flashlight too. Its dark for most of the day for several months out of the year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 15 Posts
    I lived in Fairbanks for 4 years a long time ago (late '80s) and I loved it!
    I was in in Army and worked on Fort Wainwright, I assume you'll be on Eielson AFB.
    I lived in the North Pole (really) which is a nice spot basically in between the two bases and a little South of Fairbanks.
    There are others on this Forum with current info who'll probably weigh-in.
    From my dated info, I'd say not to worry overly much about money as local wages generally match the economy.

Three things to think about might be;
    1) Getting your truck winterized. It's really not very hard and since you're moving in the summer you can do it up there.
    2) Unless the laws have changed you won't be considered a Resident for hunting purposes for 1 year ... so plan for that.
    3) If you can afford it, plan to but a couple of toys (4-wheeler, snow-machine, etc). These can really add to your hunting experience up there and be a whole lot of fun too.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 444 Times in 119 Posts
    If you plan on driving thru Canada, check out the firearms laws. You will have to declare them at the border and handguns can be a problem. Might be better to have an FFL in the lower 48 ship them to an FFL in Fairbanks. In any case check them out in advance.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 479 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 154 Times in 34 Posts
    I like Fairbanks but it's been some time since I've lived there. If I wanted to live there again, I would look to buy a home that is on one of the ridges. I lived on the hillside above Goldstream road. It gives you a view and is generally above the level of the ice-fog in the winter. It's usually warmer too, as it's gets into the inversion layer of air. Chena Ridge is similar.

Yep, it's dark and can be cold in the winter. They just came thru a stretch of 40-50 below 0 weather. I'm sure you're up to it. Your truck too. I do think it's good advice to get it winterized up there unless you are already living in a cold climate.

It is expensive to live there but not horribly so. I think that you'll love it there, but in my experience, no one is "neutral" to living there. They either love it or hate it. Not much in-between. The biggest gripe is generally the long stretches of darkness more than the cold.

Good luck on your move, congratulations on the new job and thanks for your service.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 260 Times in 85 Posts
    Some good advice already provided by Winchester and AKaviator.
    Keep us posted- sounds like a lot of fun!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all of the responses. Good intel cant be beat.
    I definitely plan on buying some toys (the retirement check will be my fun money).

I plan on just doing a bunch of Non resident bird hunting for the first year and then getting a resident moose and caribou tag.
    The info about buying higher up on a ridge is priceless, exactly one of the things I didn't know and can make a huge difference.
    Ive been looking all around the area for houses, but I really need to get there and actually drive the areas to see what is best (and I'm still 6 months away from being there).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 182 Times in 29 Posts
    Having spent a few weeks there the last couple years I was surprised the prices are very little higher than where I live in colorado.
    Gas about 30 cents a gallon more. Food nearly identical. I work in the grocery business so know those prices well.
    Now once you get about 50 miles out of town the prices go up considerably. Over 5 dollars a gallon for gas depending where you are.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 16 Posts
    Don?t over think it. You hunt and will fit right in! Live for the seasons and keep busy during the winter when it?s dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Kabob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    Don?t over think it. You hunt and will fit right in! Live for the seasons and keep busy during the winter when it?s dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do have a habit of overthinking things. I'm sure it will all work out just fine and I will love my new life in paradise.
    Winter sounds like a great opportunity to master reloading ammo.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast