Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 15 Posts

Hunting Opening Week VS Hunting a "Better" Moon

As the title of the post entails, I'm battling with myself over whether I should be in camp on opening day of rifle season which will very likely fall perfectly with a full moon and possibly still some rutting activity or wait until the following week which will be a better hunter's moon with the possibility of cooler or even more inclement weather. I'm flexible with my hunting dates so I'm just curious to see how folks will weigh in on this one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 62 Posts
    It all depends on how long the season is and where you are hunting. In state or out of state.

I never have watched the moon phases. I have always had the hunting seasons dictated to me by the states division of wildlife and usually I have only had 2 weekends at most to hunt. So I go out on the first weekend and hit it hard until either the season is finished or I have meat in the freezer.

I have also wondered if the animals really care what the moon is doing or if it is just something us hunters have dreamed up to blame not seeing or killing game animals. I am always out where I want to be at least a hour before sunrise and if I head back to camp it be around noon. Then I will be back at it a couple of hours before sunset and stay there until shooting hours have passed then hike back in the dark. I have always seen animals that way and I never worried about what phase the moon was in.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also feel like no matter the moon the critters move most on their own at dusk and dawn, period.

I should have noted that it will be an out-of-state hunt and I have about 10 days for the whole trip, 2 of which are burnt driving.
    Last edited by Timr245; 02-01-2019 at 06:15 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timr245 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 11 Posts
    I've killed elk during full moon and new moon. You can kill elk any time but the best time is when there is very little hunting pressure.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Micah S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah S View Post
    I've killed elk during full moon and new moon. You can kill elk any time but the best time is when there is very little hunting pressure.
    Main driving factor in my being first on the mountain mentality.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 348 Times in 56 Posts
    Yea, I couldn't even tell you when the moon phases are, have been, or will be in any hunting season. Go when you can and get it done!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 119 Times in 50 Posts
    moon means nothing to me either way. wether I hunt early or late really depends on the particular unit ,hunting pressure, wether or not the rut is still going and how hot it is. I would rather hunt the cold then the heat in pretty much most situations. rut is always fun also but more often then not, it is over here by the time rifle opens.

in general I prefer late season hunts over early but there are exceptions to that in every state
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think its very easy to over think things when we have months to prepare and we want and look forward to our trips so much. Most important factor is that you go on the hunt and are prepared to be flexible if what you thought it should be is not the way it it happening
    . I am a believer in moon phases affecting big game movements but there are so many other factors that affect it also.
    Do you know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians? " Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 88man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 119 Times in 50 Posts
    I am not a believer that the moon phases affect big game in any significant way. they can see in the dark.they eat when they are hungry. they poop and pee when the urge comes upon them.in fact they do everything they do when the urge comes upon them.
    I can accept that bead weather will change up their habits a bit but the moon?? nah. silliness.

I do believe the moon phases play a factor in mans movements though. and mans movements play a part in what big game does.

we can't see in the dark , so it affects us. because it affects us ,we are silly enough to believe it affects all animals.

one should never ,never, ever hunt if a comet is passing the earth though
    Last edited by kidoggy; 02-02-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts

If there is a full moon, or close to it either way, then supposedly the elk will be rutting all night long. It would be nice not to have them rutting when I can't hunt them ( sleeping), so I am a new moon kind of guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast