Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts

I don't think that there is a unit out there that won't hold 350"+ bulls, it is just finding them that is the problem. While 61 has a lot of them I am sure that 71 is going to have a good number of them.

Good luck on your hunt, and I want to see a report good or bad when you get back next fall.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    My 23 year old daughter just found out she drew her tag in Unit 61 for 1st rifle. She has taken whitetail, mule deer and antelope bucks, so this will be her first elk hunt ever. Looking forward to seeing what this unit holds this fall. And recruited her older brother in case we need packing help.

Will be working with her this summer on two different rifles. Need to determine likely shot distance in that unit through some scouting trips. We'll practice to longer ranges but hoping for under 200.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to 30338 For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I burned 21 non resident points on the second season for unit 61 this year. Would have loved to drawn the archery tag but even with 21 points I was a quite a few years away. I have had conversations with quite a few people on where to concentrate on and I think I have gotten a different answer from each one. But everyone says to glass from high and hunt deep. I would love to talk with anyone who has had the tag in the last few years there just to heard how it went, and what to expect after all this will be my one and only shot here. After October if anyone wants to hear how it goes I will be glad to share.

One thing I was wondering, dose it pay to have a bear tag that late in the year or are they starting to den up by then.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Typically I would say yes, buy the $100 bear tag. But seeing as how you burned 21 points, I would for sure not shoot a bear before the bull goes down. If you don't mind burning a $100, there is a good chance a bear will find the carcass of your dead bull after the meat is packed out. Good luck to you on your hunt. We are excited as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

It depends on what part of 61 you plan on hunting. The unit is a very large unit and covers everything from dark timber, to open parks, to ponderosa forests, to oak brush. There are places you cannot see over 50 yards and other places you can see tomorrow.

Randy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234