Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 786 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 341 Times in 76 Posts

Yeah I agree....may shoot 2s tomorrow and give them a go. I just cut open 3 shells to see the pellet count.
    Rem HV 1 1/4 2s 146 count
    Win HV 1 1/8 2s 133 count
    Rem HV BB 1 1/4 90 count

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Those Winchester 2s is what we shoot for ducks and have had great results.

Honkers we are using BB.

Our geese kill hole is at 25 yards and most of our shots are 30 yards and under.

This experiment I'm conducting now is because most of the geese we have are pretty stale and hard to decoy. We have had alot come in cup up and right at about 30 yards flare and turn.

I'm nitpicking now I think and most likley this weather will push a ton of fresh geese in and make all the ones we have now break up in groups and feed harder.
    Geez, if all my goose shots were 30 yards or less I would use the same loads I do for ducks, 3” #3s
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I use #4 (or sometimes #6) for just about everything. My range doesn't allow that size for clays but when I'm on public land I even use it for that. I've taken duck, turkey, grouse, and tons of clays. Shot size selection is heavily dependent on the choke you use, how your gun patterns, the distance you're shooting at, and how consistent you are. #4 is right for me - I'm not pushing it on anyone else.

DEFINITELY pay attention to what works in your gun. I have a Remington 1100 semi-auto with a 2-3/4" chamber. It's a gas-operated action that's easily fouled by low quality / dirty powders. And some brands just seem finicky with it in general. For fun one day I picked up a few boxes of Fiocchi buckshot, but it doesn't cycle at all - the rounds seem very slightly too wide/tight in the chamber and they don't extract properly. It loves Federal and Remington, but some other brands just don't run well in it.

This is a smoothbore obviously, and believe it or not I didn't get it for fowl. Before I moved to CO I lived in CT where centerfire rifles are not allowed for big game hunting. You have to use shotguns and slugs. It's a GREAT slug gun, especially with Herter's low-recoil rounds. Despite them being fairly on the cheap side, they run really well and I can get a 5" group at up to 100yds. Perfect for deer hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Late to the party...

Used to shoot a lot of bigger canadas (12 pound-class birds) in CT (back when we could use rifles for deer) with Winchester Dry Locks 3-inch #1. Public land birds, anything inside of 65 yards got shot at and usually dropped. They were some nice loads, no idea if they even make em anymore.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
    Do shotguns have brands and loads they shoot better like rifles?
    For my shotgun, it is a yes. Can?t speak for others.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 786 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 341 Times in 76 Posts
    In the end (caveat this was our first full goose season so a very steep learning curve from November to March)

2# worked fine with the smaller lessers. Once the bigger greaters came into town it was evident we needed to shoot BBs.

Will most likely get a Patternmaster choke for next year to cut down on shot length.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 151 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Late to the party...

Used to shoot a lot of bigger canadas (12 pound-class birds) in CT (back when we could use rifles for deer) with Winchester Dry Locks 3-inch #1. Public land birds, anything inside of 65 yards got shot at and usually dropped. They were some nice loads, no idea if they even make em anymore.
    65 yards????
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 285 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    65 yards????
    All the cool kids are doing it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just killed more geese with #1s as opposed to #2s, BBs, or BBBs.

Yes - 65 yards.

I wonder how many guys actually know what 65 yards is - that's often a 2nd or 3rd shot for many guys. I'll explain:

Say a goose is flying 40 mph, that's 40 x 5280 = 211,200 feet per hour, divide by 60 minutes and that equals 3520 feet per minute, divide by 60 seconds and you get 59 feet per second (or just google it). Or roughly 20 yards per second.

So you shoot at a crossing goose at say 25 yards, by time you get 2nd shot he's 45 yards, 3rd shot is 65 yards - assuming you can shoot an accurate shot at 1 per second. If he's 35 yards you can only shoot 2x before it is too far.

What's the effective killing range of your ammo? Helps to know. That's where you get more dead birds than cripples.

What's your effective shooting range? That helps too. That's where you hit more than you miss.

So - if you criticize but often shoot your 3rd shell at birds, I call bullshit on you. Some guys do have great hunting spots and excellent calling skills. Most guys only dream of that stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you only fire one round to determine your pattern? That's not an accurate way to pattern a shotgun. You're supposed to take 3 shots and the average of all three. All KINDS of things affect a pattern and definitely trying different brands, shot sizes, choke tubes, etc. will all do that. Even a slightly off factory load could throw a pattern, which is why the 3-shot test.

My Remington 1100 patterns really badly with those "Hevi" (is that the brand or the style, I forgot... but it's spelled that way) shells some people rave about. I've had really good luck with the Winchester Super X which another poster mentioned above. And I totally agree on shot size. Just go up a single step and it may change your day.

People think I'm crazy but I use #4 for just about everything. I can't do a 65 yard shot like some of the posters above, but out to 35-40 yards I have a lot of confidence with it for just about anything I hunt and I even shoot clays with it (on public land anyway - my range won't allow less than #7-1/2). I know how it runs in my gun and I know how I shoot with it and that's the main thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taskswap For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12