Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 198 Times in 30 Posts

Ever find yourself in No Man's Land with preference points?

A couple weeks ago I started doing my normal digging for information and potential hunts for the 2019 season. In year's past, I never really paid much attention to WY because I was in the point building mode and more focused on other hunts in my home state of Colorado.

Well, the time has come to pay more attention to WY and those points. I've been building points for elk and antelope only, with 6 and 7 points, respectively. One thing I quickly learned while attempting to narrow my search is I'm at a stage that I need just a couple more points to get me into the next tier units; however, point creep has steadily been going up about a point/year, which will leave me never being able to reach that next tiered unit.

Therefore, I think it is time to burn some points and be done with it. I don't need the meat for the freezer as I can stuff as many Oklahoma whitetails I need in the freezer each fall. So, I'm primarily looking for trophy type animals, nothing off the shelf, but a better than average specimen.

Any particular recommendations for 6 elk points and 7 antelope points? I've somewhat narrowed my thoughts down to a few select units for each species, but I'm curious if I might have missed something.

Thanks, Graybird
    "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 348 Times in 56 Posts
    If your just over the border in Colorado, drive on up just before rifle Antelope opens, and take a few days to eyeball a couple areas. Mid September sure would be a good time to check out an Elk area for a day or two also...

Good luck on your decision!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 9 Posts
    Might be better off to take a friend who has zero points and get a couple of general tags. Would give you a lot of flexibility with some units right on the border.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    I found myself in the same position. Went with some guys on a guided wilderness hunt, had a fantastic time and moved on with my life.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would guess probably 75% of the WY elk pref point holders are in that 'no man's land'.
    In a few years, it may take your 6 points to draw a general tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    I'm in almost exactly the same boat, unsure if I should just burn them and get out or hang in for hopes of one of the better units. I know there are about 10-15 units I'll never catch but others units could be 2-3 years or even 5 or more depending on what the other high point holders do. I think some will eventually stop chasing the top units and drop down to the 2nd tier units I'm chasing. I'm mostly thinking about elk. I have no idea what to do so I can't help there.

I think you can't go wrong with 7 antelope points, there are some very good units, outside the very best units, where you can have a fantastic hunt. I would just look at the units that could be drawn with 6 points last year and research them. Pick the one you like and go! Everybody says don't shoot the 1st one you see, so I'd look over a bunch of bucks and pick out the one you like. If I don't draw an elk tag somewhere this will be my plan this year. Maybe I'll see you there!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 12 Posts
    I don't even know what to say if you think 7 antelope points puts you in no mans land. More like "I can draw a bunch of sweetass units" land.

For elk, there are options too. There are some Bighorn units you could draw and a few others scattered across the state. It's been said many times before but if I were you, I'd pick a unit and then get a cow tag.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,156 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 266 Times in 86 Posts
    I agree with NDHunters statement However, Cow tags are tough to come by any more.
    This is another issue developed by point creep. Guys don't draw 'horn' tags and want to hunt. This compounds the theory or hunters of the guys wanting to get boots on ground research for an actual future 'horn' hunt.
    However, you gotta keep trying.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 7 Posts
    Im in the same boat with points too. 7 antelope, 7 elk. Im burning them both this yr hopefully.(actually just put my name in the hat for elk today) Hoping to have an epic fall and then probably done stock piling points. I have points in sd and co to use over the next couple yrs and then i can relax and hunt the easy draw and over counter areas ive learned (and love) while i was building points. I think ive come to the point in my life where just being out there but still having success trumps "trophy" hunts. Man i must be getting old. America. Good luck in your decisions graybird and if you have any suggestions for 5 co deer points im all ears.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to troybackman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 198 Times in 30 Posts

I think I've finally come up with a potential solution to the scenario I'm in. I can apply this year for a pretty good antelope unit. Use this year as a scouting trip for a 2020 elk hunt with the majority of the unit boundaries overlapping. If it doesn't work out on the elk scouting, I can always back up and figure something different out next year.
    "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

12. The Following User Says Thank You to graybird For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast