Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 184 Times in 17 Posts

I'm all for youth seasons. ND has a youth season that runs well before regular rifle season. I'm not positive of the regs anymore, but I believe the season is 1 week long including the weekends on both sides of the week. Lets face it, youth typically need a little more action. Had my father taken me out fishing only for walleye and we struck out my first few times, I would have lost interest in fishing. I had to start off with fast action sunfish, then work my way towards the more sought after game fish. My introduction to hunting was very similar. I used to enjoy water foul hunting because of the action and almost certainty of bringing home birds. My youth deer season was difficult as deer numbers were very low that year, but I did get more time to learn the ropes and I was successful the last weekend of regular season.

An early season is a way to increase the odds of finding less pressured animals, hunt in warmer climates (at least in ND), and keep the field a little less busy which should decrease accidents. It increases the chances of a young hunter having the time to make an ethical shot since the deer aren't as alert.

As for lowering the price...the youth using the tag likely doesn't pay for it anyways. I believe the tag should still be full price.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ando_31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Anytime a youth is mentored and can hunt is a plus to us all.Keep it up guys!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtclod Az. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 350 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    My home state of Nebraska doesn't currently have any youth only big game seasons or hunts. In researching other states, I was able to find that Nebraska and Nevada are the only two states that do not offer some form of a youth only big game hunt. Some states offer state wide options for a period of days while others offer only specific species/areas for a few days. I am in communication with the Nebraska Game and Parks big game director trying to convince him to consider starting a hunt here in Nebraska.

I'm hoping to get some feedback from some of you guys in other states. In your opinion, are these hunts a good idea? Any positive/negative things to consider? I can't personally see a down side but I have had some objection from a few local hunters who don't want to give up a couple of days during our 100 day bow season.

Thanks for any feedback guys.
    Wyoming doesn't allow big game hunting till the age of 12, even though we do have some youth only seasons. I took my 10 year old son across the state line to Nebraska so he could hunt deer with a muzzle loader this past year in Nebraska. Even though it was late in the season in sub-par weather conditions, with a 20 year old smoke pole, on the 4th day of hunting he knocked down his first deer ever. Wyoming has a youth only season, but Nebraska lets kids hunt earlier, with cheaper tags, and significantly longer seasons. Personally I think Nebraska already does a great job with youth opportunity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 391 Times in 66 Posts
    Research Montana, I know they have a two day youth hunt before the general season opens and there tags are discounted. The two day season I believe is only for deer!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 9 Posts
    Hilltop,

I think what you are doing is great. I'm 110% for youth hunts, here in Oklahoma our youth season is during fall break when kids our out of school. In Kansas it is the first season of the year, which gives the youth first chance. I think every state should have them. If you want to start a petition, I will gladly sign it.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 835 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    Wyoming doesn't allow big game hunting till the age of 12, even though we do have some youth only seasons. I took my 10 year old son across the state line to Nebraska so he could hunt deer with a muzzle loader this past year in Nebraska. Even though it was late in the season in sub-par weather conditions, with a 20 year old smoke pole, on the 4th day of hunting he knocked down his first deer ever. Wyoming has a youth only season, but Nebraska lets kids hunt earlier, with cheaper tags, and significantly longer seasons. Personally I think Nebraska already does a great job with youth opportunity.
    I agree- they are doing better than some states but my goal isn't to provide an opportunity to kids who will in one way or another already get to go with dad at some point. I'm looking for ways to get kids involved who normally wouldn't go at all. For instance, I took one young man out a few years ago who doesn't have hunting parents or any of the gear. He honestly had never considered going but my son talked him into it- and I had the free time. He shot a doe deer and was hooked forever. His dad stepped up and bought him some gear and now has him lined up with a hunting family member.

The real issue in Nebraska is this- we have a 9 day firearm season. That is 4 days available to take a kid and for adults to hunt themselves if they have a job. Add in kids activities, and the window gets very short. We do have a muzzleloader season but there is only a small percentage of adults in the state participating. If an adult doesn't hunt that way themselves, they surly aren't going to be a good mentor. My thought is if there was a special youth firearm season, more experienced hunters would be willing to take kids out and get them involved while not having to sacrifice their already short season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree- they are doing better than some states but my goal isn't to provide an opportunity to kids who will in one way or another already get to go with dad at some point. I'm looking for ways to get kids involved who normally wouldn't go at all. For instance, I took one young man out a few years ago who doesn't have hunting parents or any of the gear. He honestly had never considered going but my son talked him into it- and I had the free time. He shot a doe deer and was hooked forever. His dad stepped up and bought him some gear and now has him lined up with a hunting family member.

The real issue in Nebraska is this- we have a 9 day firearm season. That is 4 days available to take a kid and for adults to hunt themselves if they have a job. Add in kids activities, and the window gets very short. We do have a muzzleloader season but there is only a small percentage of adults in the state participating. If an adult doesn't hunt that way themselves, they surly aren't going to be a good mentor. My thought is if there was a special youth firearm season, more experienced hunters would be willing to take kids out and get them involved while not having to sacrifice their already short season.
    There's also a 15 day doe only rifle season from January 1-15th also. 4 days in November, 8-17 days in December with Christmas break for the kids, and another 4 days in January. That gives you between 16 to 25 days to deer hunt over 3 months with the existing season without a day missed of school.

Guess as parents and advocates for the hunting community we need to decide, am I willing to give up my opportunity every once and a while, and inconvenience myself with taking a youth during hunting season, or is my opportunity to take a deer more important?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,097 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 120 Times in 51 Posts
    in Idaho many of the general deer seasons are open for youth only doe hunts . I think this is an awesome opportunity for the kids to get involved in hunting.

easy enough hunts they don't get burned out before they get hooked.. plus they get a sense of pride by helping contribute to their families meals.

I don't see a downside to these hunts.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 835 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    There's also a 15 day doe only rifle season from January 1-15th also. 4 days in November, 8-17 days in December with Christmas break for the kids, and another 4 days in January. That gives you between 16 to 25 days to deer hunt over 3 months with the existing season without a day missed of school.

Guess as parents and advocates for the hunting community we need to decide, am I willing to give up my opportunity every once and a while, and inconvenience myself with taking a youth during hunting season, or is my opportunity to take a deer more important?
    I understand your point but how many non-hunting kids are going to get excited about hunting in single digit weather in January? The 8-17 days during December are muzzleloader or archery only- again it will be rare for the casual community to take someone out during these seasons. I took my son opening day, Jan 1st, and the windchill that day was -21F. People like you and I make it happen and give a big effort to get kids involved. My question is how do we get people who aren't so committed to get kids out there. In my opinion, you make it convenient to go during a time of year that is a lot more comfortable for first time hunters. You seem to oppose so I ask, what would a youth only season earlier in the year hurt?

Thanks
    Congratulations

I understand your point but how many non-hunting kids are going to get excited about hunting in single digit weather in January? The 8-17 days during December are muzzleloader or archery only- again it will be rare for the casual community to take someone out during these seasons. I took my son opening day, Jan 1st, and the windchill that day was -21F. People like you and I make it happen and give a big effort to get kids involved. My question is how do we get people who aren't so committed to get kids out there. In my opinion, you make it convenient to go during a time of year that is a lot more comfortable for first time hunters. You seem to oppose so I ask, what would a youth only season earlier in the year hurt?
    Personally I think that it would be a great thing, and a early October weekend is more likely to get okay'ed by the bow hunters for them to loss a weekend. The one thing I would add if your able to gain any traction on this would be to add that anyone who has never bought a big game license regardless of age would be allowed to hunt also. So this would include for example, an adult who has never hunted, but would allow them to be mentored once, without interfering with someone else's hunting time. I'm not knocking your idea, Nebraska just has a lot more opportunity, and I mean a lot more than most any other states, but things can all ways get tweaked, and get better too.
    Good luck!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast