Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 5 Posts

Brass prep.....300 weatherby

Gents,
    I recently read an article by John Barsness who advised for hunting guns he doesnt do too much for brass prep, weight sorting or neck turning. This is a deviation from all the tied and true handloaders!!

I have found myself the owner of about 250 rounds of 300 WBY mag brass. Some came wih the rifle and some came from a buddy who doesnt handload. The headstamps all indicate Weatherby manufactur (NORMA) but the weights indicate about a 6 grain difference in the headstamps.

two questions -

1. Anyone ever see this much swing among the same manufactiurers and did you have a problem or variations with your loads ?
    2. If you shoot Weatherby rounds what brass have you bought and liked ?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 944 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    I have never weighed each case individually to see what they weigh before I reload them. But then I very seldom load the cases to the maximum load possible anymore.

For loading my .340 Weatherby I picked up a couple hundred new brass from Norma and have been working my way through them. But for any of my other reloads I don't worry too much about it. I just do a good case inspection before reloading them and go.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 440 Times in 116 Posts
    I'm with JimP on this. I shoot a .300 Wby and have about 250 cases that I got from a friend who used to work at Weatherby in California. I have never weighed them and probably never will as I don't load them that hot. If you are really concerned, here is what I was taught (by a bench rest shooter) many years ago. Take a light weight case and a heavy weight case and fill them with water and measure the difference. It is the internal capacity of a case that really will determine how much powder you can put in it safely.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 4 Posts
    I don’t sort and weigh cases for anything except my long range gun. In that situation, I’m going for consistency and to control as many variables as I can.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Triple BB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts

What they’ve all already said. My 300wby shoots .770 groups at 100yds. For hunting rifles I simply neck size and trim. Weatherby’s are freebore to keep pressures down so I always load multiples of the same load with different OAL’s to see which one shoots best when developing. Generally, the closer to the lands, the more accurate it gets.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Timr245 For This Useful Post: