Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 1,196 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 88 Posts

Canadian Border Crossing

I have the paperwork to fill out and carry with me when crossing the border for a possible bear hunt.
    Is there anything else I'll need to carry or be aware of at my time of crossing?

I plan to have my bolt gun unassembled (bolt removed) and ammo in a completely separate space.
    I will also have my originals and copies of my birth cert, drivers license, ss card, & passport. Paranoid... maybe, but I'm the innocent guy who is always singled out at the airport. I honestly think it's because I look non-threatening and to be an easy "check the box" assignment.

Thanks in advance guys!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 390 Times in 65 Posts
    I've hunted BC two times and here's what I've done. Passport, firearms permit fill it out but do not sign it! You'll, do that at the border. Your gun, I travel with mine in a hard case with double pad locks. Like you said ammo separate from the gun. Crossing isn't that bad just make it easy for yourself and the border agent. I even had a separate set of keys to my truck with the gun case keys on the ring. Here's another tip, if you have a family member or buddy traveling with you and flying back put the guns on your firearm permit. If they don't, they have to fly with they're guns. I know this because when my son and I hunted moose in BC. He had his own firearm permit so the gun had to return with him. Our outfitter pointed this out to us! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 487 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 154 Times in 34 Posts
    You have it covered. I wouldn't carry your s.s. card or birth certificate, just in case you lose it all somewhere. Someone might turn into a new "Bonecollector"!! I've crossed several times and never had to show anything but a passport.
    I'm sure you know, but don't sign the firearms declaration form in advance. They want it signed in front of them. My last time they didn't even ask to see the firearms.
    If you are friendly and respectful, they will be too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 271 Times in 60 Posts
    All you need is your passport to get across. When you pull up to the window or they show up at the door just tell them what you are doing and that you have a firearm that you need to declare. They will then have you pull over to a location and usually come inside their office for the paperwork. They will then inspect your rifle while outside and you are inside.

When I went up bear hunting and went across the border it was no problem at all. They did however dump all of my gear out of my bags that I had packed for a horse back trip into a wilderness out and then didn't bother to even try to repack it the way that I did. They just crammed it into the bags. I didn't find out that they did this until I got to the trailhead.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 33 Posts
    Canada didn't even check my gun or belongings when I crossed. Coming back in checked my bags only and quickly. But it was 30 below zero at the time where I crossed in Minnesota.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Having a form 4457 filled out by your local customs can be helpful for reentry also. Anything with a serial number, guns, scopes, cameras etc. Proves it was yours when you went in and not something your bringing back with you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 271 Times in 60 Posts
    When I came back into the US all the agent asked was if my rifle was on the 4457. He didn't look at either one.

In the most part I think that it will depend on the agents that you happen to get. If they are having a good day you will fly through, if they are having a bad day look out.

But it is better to be prepared for whatever they ask you and have all the proper paperwork just in case.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 225 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter25 View Post
    Having a form 4457 filled out by your local customs can be helpful for reentry also. Anything with a serial number, guns, scopes, cameras etc. Proves it was yours when you went in and not something your bringing back with you.

Yes that is helpful but I didn't end up needing it but makes life easy when you come back

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 225 Times in 139 Posts
    Passport, declaration form not signed. They never checked the guns when we crossed just the forms. Make sure you have Visa, Mastercard or Canadian cash. To pay for the form. If you haven't been there before they may do a background check its quick if there isn't a line. They just take your passport and run your name. I had this going there for the first time in September.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

For those that don't know,
    If you have any alcohol offenses on your record you may be denied entry. It's a felony in Canada.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast