Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
    My name is Gary I was medically retired after 22 years in the Army last year. I am introducing myself here to try and gain information on mule and elk. I currently reside in Missouri just outside of Fort Leonard Wood. I am originally from upstate NY and we decided to stay in Missouri to let my kids finish high school with some stability due to all the years of moving around. I am a decent whitetail hunter having taken numerous deer to include 3 P/Y bucks. I would really like to take a mule deer and an elk with my bow as well. unfortunately Missouri doesn't have too many of them running around lol. I would be open to anywhere it wouldn't take me ten years to draw for a tag and with fairly decent success rates. I have a friend from Colorado that mentioned GMU 44 but it appears it takes at least 6 years to draw for that area. I look forward to hearing from everyone and gaining some knowledge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15541450_1371853142839656_1436209781062996959_n.jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to homr75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 4 Posts
    Well your at the right place to learn that's for sure! That's a dandy looking buck! I love hunting Missouri, been there 3 times, have some friends in Dallas County with some really nice land.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 996 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 119 Times in 50 Posts
    lots of general season archery opportunity for elk , bull or cow and mule or whitetail deer , buck or doe. here in Idaho.

you can pick a unit that offers what your looking for and come hunt Idaho every year .
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Missouri definitely has great whitetail. I let deer walk every year that back home wouldn't even get a second look. Dallas county isn't too far, but all of Missouri is good.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldn't even know where to start looking as I have never hunted for either animal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    lots of general season archery opportunity for elk , bull or cow and mule or whitetail deer , buck or doe. here in Idaho.

you can pick a unit that offers what your looking for and come hunt Idaho every year .
    which areas and seasons do you recommend?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 4 Posts
    I spose it depends on what your calendar looks like, early fall or late fall could open different avenues for you. Lots of places like Wyoming offer plenty of over the counter tags. Best bet is to dig into their websites and see what the draw results are for different areas you want to check out then poke around this site. Search for certain areas and see kind of dirt you can dig up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mustang8 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,404 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 856 Times in 148 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 996 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 119 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homr75 View Post
    which areas and seasons do you recommend?
    LOL. THE ONES WITH LOTS OF GAME!
    I am not going to give up my hard earned honey holes but once you choose your unit ,if you have any specific questions I will answer what I am able to. feel free to private message me.

I actually prefer the sept archery for elk and the later (December) hunts for archery deer. but there are some units that have both elk and deer going on at same time in sept that can be fun also. I am not going to tell you it's easy to get a good trophy but it is not impossible, depending on your abilities.

decent chance for just any ol buck or bull or doe/cow , in most units that offer general season hunts. so take your pick.

with elk you must choose a zone and then choose between either an A or B TAG. see regs for hunt specifics.

with deer you must only choose between either whitetail or mulie. can't hunt both , with maybe an exception or two??

you will need hunting license, tag and archery permit. see regs for cost as I am not sure how much.
    Last edited by kidoggy; 01-07-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Congratulations

Nice buck and welcome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast