Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    Always interesting to see how non residents feel its their right to manage anything hunting in Wyoming.

As long as a decent percentage of the tags go random draw, I'm all for it. In fact, I'll be writing my reps asking them to support the bill...
    You good sir are a fool if you want to go to a point system. Nd residents have to purchase preference points it takes 5 years to draw a deer rifle tag in a less desired unit. Talking badlands it takes longer. Antelope tags are about the same. It is not a good system and I think a lot of guys would be unhappy with this system in Wyoming. But if you want to be foolish go ahead and write your rep.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to raspy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 3 Posts
    It may not be too bad of an idea as long as residents still have the ability to get a general tag without using points if they don’t draw the limited quota tag.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ssulliv155 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnbogboy View Post
    As I said I don't know. They have all they need to institute it for free. It wouldn't be fair to WY residents if they did it any other way. I guess it all depends on who's pockets will be getting filled. My suggestion is to contact your representative and "feel" him out.
    I hunt WY almost every year and know what a rat race the NR point system is. I'm in no-mans land with elk points (9) now and with point creep see that I may die before I draw or will burn them on a general unit. I feel your pain if they do indeed institute the same system.
    Those of us who are Wyoming residents already have a points system for Moose and Sheep. Just like non-residents. We've had it for years. It's only for Moose and Sheep, they'd just expand the system. There is a 5 year wait before you can apply again after you draw.
    Last edited by shootbrownelk; 01-07-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulliv155 View Post
    It may not be too bad of an idea as long as residents still have the ability to get a general tag without using points if they don’t draw the limited quota tag.
    There is no general tag for antelope.
    Don't fence me in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 9 Posts
    Preference points work good the first few years then point creep takes over. Units that people used to draw every few years will soon take 10 years. Oregon did this and it's been a disaster. A good elk hunt takes 15+ years to draw and a middle of the road antelope tag takes 13+.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 940 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    If units are now taking 15+ points to draw an elk tag with points then how good were your odd when it was a random draw?

Point systems are a double edge sword. Some like them some don't. When Colorado went to a limited draw hunt on deer everyone complained but as it got into it people found that instead of being able to hunt every year it turned into every two years, except for the later hunts and the units that could not sustain a OTC hunt anymore. Also here in Colorado I can hunt a trophy unit with a muzzle loader every 2 years and some times I get lucky and can hunt it 2 years in a row, it is the luck of the draw. Archery hunters have it some better. It used to take 2 years to draw that archery tag, now you can draw it very close to every year. Other units you can hunt every year even with the draw and point system.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 144 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raspy View Post
    I think this is complete garbage. All this is coming from a guy in a suit and tie that sits behind a desk all day that?s never hunted a day in his life brainstorming on how to increase income to the state. If I was a resident I would be voicing my opinion very loudly on this one. Pretty soon people won?t be able to afford to hunt. It?s become such a big money game.
    Um, Bill Haley is a retired GW and was a good one. He is just mislead on this issue. In fact he is more than willing to listen to his constituents. We need to be vocal though.
    I would certainly consider a small fee increase for the tags instead of a PP system.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    If units are now taking 15+ points to draw an elk tag with points then how good were your odd when it was a random draw?

Point systems are a double edge sword. Some like them some don't. When Colorado went to a limited draw hunt on deer everyone complained but as it got into it people found that instead of being able to hunt every year it turned into every two years, except for the later hunts and the units that could not sustain a OTC hunt anymore. Also here in Colorado I can hunt a trophy unit with a muzzle loader every 2 years and some times I get lucky and can hunt it 2 years in a row, it is the luck of the draw. Archery hunters have it some better. It used to take 2 years to draw that archery tag, now you can draw it very close to every year. Other units you can hunt every year even with the draw and point system.
    For units where the random draw odds are pretty good...let's say 30% to 50%...going to a PP system may not be too bad, because there is a lot of annual turnover. On the other hand, if the current odds are 30% to 50% what's the point of going to a PP system? Just be patient and you'll get lucky and draw a tag.

For units such as Area 100 bull elk in the Red Desert, where the random odds are currently about 3%, if you don't get in on the ground floor of the PP system you may never draw a tag. And there will be a lot of people that don't get in on the ground floor for various reasons...especially if they are too young to apply the first year.

And don't forget, you are going to be paying to accumulate points.
    Don't fence me in!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to highplainsdrifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 141 Times in 35 Posts

Out of curiosity are they proposing a preference pount system like Colorados or a bonus point system like Nevadas?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast