Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 35 Posts

The Wyoming Hunters and Anglers Alliance has created a poll on HB0042...the preference point bill. As of this morning, with about 1,000 votes cast, the tally is running 87% against the bill. You can cast your vote at the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/WYHAA/
    Don't fence me in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 101 Times in 19 Posts
    I can see why some WY resident hunters would go for a point system. They could build points and apply for limited draw areas with increasing odds as the points accumulate if they don't draw. If they don't draw they can hunt with a general tag in a good part of the state that NRs can't draw without using points. The toilet seat will slam loudly on their heads if the state were to make all the zones subject to the point system. A good example is the G deer tag. It is up to 6+ pts. for a NR, but its OTC for residents.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 35 Posts
    The Eastmans have posted a blog against the preference point bill. So those of us who are against the bill are in good company

Thank you Guy!!

https://blog.eastmans.com/the-myth-o...6c4ca5-9855573
    Don't fence me in!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to highplainsdrifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    In my opinion Preference points are just a way for the states to create a revenue stream without having to issue tags. Thought it was a great idea at first but now every year I am 1 PP short of drawing a tag as point creep has set in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm on the NO NO NO as CC mentioned. got enough points in other states and way behind the draw for areas I was wanting to try for so ill be looking into areas I might have a chance at drawing then probably bail on the game, stick to Wyoming and hunt here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess im on the fence still about how or how not this would be a good idea, colorado in my opinion has a good set up for allowing their otc bull tags in certain areas and having their limited draw areas in other areas, while allowing you to build points to hunt a limited draw area and having an otc bull tag every year until then. Wy tag quotas will not change from switching just be the areas that have a 30% percent chance youd get it every 3-4 years and the lesser areas a little longer and the higher draw areas sooner. no one is gonna change areas if they wanna put in for area 1 or 100 its gonna take time but they will get there or the people who put in for the 60% plus will get it every other year. and for the years you dont draw if you can still go general on a any elk tag like many do now how is it gonna be any different from what people do already and now youre guranteed a tag at some point. there will be point creep but the low population of people in the state vs high number of elk and elk quotas i dont thing it will be much of a differnece. thats my opinion looking for other opinions.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 230 Times in 23 Posts
    There are units in Colorado.. where residents have 20+ years worth of points and are still a decade or more away from drawing that tag... let's take area 56-1 for example in Wyoming...10 tags, 2 to non-res...8 left.. now 25% go random.. so minus 2... now 6 tags for the all-mighty preference point holders... last year 158 1st choice applicants... So roughly 1 in 20.. that means that for "max" point holders who get in on the 1st year of buying tags, you are looking at least at 20 years for them each to get their tag... so for anyone else your basically screwed.. if you actually think point creep won't effect the 30% chance areas right now, then you haven't paid attention to preference point states around us, where all their areas have gone up in point creep as the years go by. Id rather it stay random, or be like idaho with some sort of year or 2 waiting period after you draw a 1st choice tag of that species

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 792 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 599 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    There are units in Colorado.. where residents have 20+ years worth of points and are still a decade or more away from drawing that tag... let's take area 56-1 for example in Wyoming...10 tags, 2 to non-res...8 left.. now 25% go random.. so minus 2... now 6 tags for the all-mighty preference point holders... last year 158 1st choice applicants... So roughly 1 in 20.. that means that for "max" point holders who get in on the 1st year of buying tags, you are looking at least at 20 years for them each to get their tag... so for anyone else your basically screwed.. if you actually think point creep won't effect the 30% chance areas right now, then you haven't paid attention to preference point states around us, where all their areas have gone up in point creep as the years go by. Id rather it stay random, or be like idaho with some sort of year or 2 waiting period after you draw a 1st choice tag of that species

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I think the waiting period makes a lot of sense... but how does the state make extra money off of that? That's really what this is about...$$$.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 5 Posts
    Based upon the 2018 statistics, it will only take 48.66 years to go through the "class of 2018" for Area 100-Type 1 Elk if a true preference point system was implemented last year. That's assuming the number of applicants an tag numbers stayed similar.

3163 applicants for 65 tags.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts

The biggest problem is that when you only have a certain number of tags and the ones wanting those tags far exceeds that number you are going to have problems.

If you go to a general draw you will have those that will never draw a tag, if you go to a PP set up you will have those that will wait forever to draw that same tag.

It is a dam if you do and dam if you don't.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast