Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 954 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts

When I gave up drinking every night I couldn't believe the money that I had in my pockets, But then I found another vice to spend it all on.

I have to admit that Colorado can get quite expensive while you learn a new area and perhaps go home empty handed the first couple of years.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 181 Times in 28 Posts
    I don't drink and haven't had a car payment for 10 years now. I drive old stuff and learn to fix basic things.
    That's how I afford to do what I do

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter25 View Post
    I don't drink and haven't had a car payment for 10 years now. I drive old stuff and learn to fix basic things.
    That's how I afford to do what I do

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I got you beat on that one: no truck payment for 14 years. She getting old though, I was nervous on my trip West this year for the 1st time. I might be making payments again soon!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 17 Posts
    Definitely will be spending some time looking into options in CO.

I've heard horror stories about overcrowded OTC units; but I might as well experience it 1st hand and see for myself.
    Also possible to draw something potentially worthwhile for 1st rifle with zero pts in CO.

Utah spike and Idaho aren't off the table either for me; but the extra fuel burn to get there gives a nod to giving CO some priority in my research.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did a quick check on mileage from my house in Iowa to the following cities:

1. Challis, ID: 1,425
    2. Manti, UT: 1,280
    3. Meeker, CO: 1,028
    4. Casper, WY: 895

Focusing just on the gas cost of feeding my Tundra solo (hopefully someone will join me and we can share gas costs!), using $3/gal cost (yeah its cheaper now, but...) I come up the following gas cost 'adders' for me for ID, UT, CO over what I would spend driving to WY:

1. ID: $160
    2. UT: $116
    3. CO: $40

Granted, those states are big, so there are places in CO that could be as far as the two points I selected in UT and ID, but anyhow. Also, this doesn't take into account wear on my truck and the extra time spent traveling.

I guess I've already said it: I need to devote some time learning a little more about Colorado. I think 1st rifle probably interests me the most; try to find a tag I can draw in a sensible area with no pts; next, if that falls thru, keep OTC rifle 2 as my backup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 102 Times in 20 Posts
    You may want to consider changing your mindset. If you have a limited unit picked out, and you don't draw (but expect to eventually), and don't want to fight the crowds in a OTC unit, then...….buy a small game tag and hunt for whatever that tag allows. You can scout your chosen unit (or even the whole state), and you can still hunt elk, you just can't shoot any. On a 13 day trip to CO a couple years ago, I could have had a blast with all the grouse that I saw stumping around in the mountains.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    With Colorado's new draw requirement that you purchase a license to put in for the draw you will now have that small game license to come out and do some exploring if you put in for Colorado.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    You may want to consider changing your mindset. If you have a limited unit picked out, and you don't draw (but expect to eventually), and don't want to fight the crowds in a OTC unit, then...?.buy a small game tag and hunt for whatever that tag allows. You can scout your chosen unit (or even the whole state), and you can still hunt elk, you just can't shoot any. On a 13 day trip to CO a couple years ago, I could have had a blast with all the grouse that I saw stumping around in the mountains.
    'RICMIC,

That's not a bad deal at all; really.

Granted, I no longer have a bird dog, but; I've seen plenty of ruffed and blue grouse while camping/hiking the Medicine Bow and Bighorn Nat Forests in WY; would be fun to still hunt them. I'm sure the Routt and White River Nat Forests would be very similar. Not only that, I love to fish for trout. I like it. Plan "B" could be a DIY elk scouting "cast&blast" with the Ruger 20 ga and 7' glass 3wt, in a elk unit of interest.

I also have a .54 cal muzzy that deserves more use; a cow muzzy tag in CO has also started to take root as an option to consider. Its an inline with iron sights that can use 209 or musket caps externally, so I am pretty sure with loose powder and big conical or patched round ball I'd be legal in CO.

Regards,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 102 Times in 20 Posts
    Preylyon; I've hunted the Routte N.F. north of Hayden, and saw both blue and mt. grouse. On my last outing there in 2016, I didn't have an elk or deer tag, but only a small game tag. I was the horse packer for some friends who were muzzy elk hunting. I didn't shoot anything then as I seemed to always be on horseback when I came across grouse. Purely as a small game hunt, I would go before the elk season starts, but as a scouting trip you should go during the time that you would do the elk hunt as the herds are greatly affected by hunter activity.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Just as a FYI out there but Colorado's bird and rabbit seasons starts around the first weekend of September during the archery hunt and runs through November.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast