Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 126 Times in 28 Posts

I've hunted Idaho a few times, I really enjoy it there, better than Colorado. But, if you want to hunt every year, pick an OTC unit in Colorado and go. You can even work through all the draws in every state, and then when you don't draw anything, buy your OTC CO tag, and go hunt.

You're probably a minimum of 6 hours closer to elk in CO than ID, which is my biggest gripe about hunting ID coming from the Midwest - You drive past a whole lot of good elk country to get where you're going.

Pick a unit in CO, learn it, hunt it every year, you'll kill elk.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 5 Posts
    It's more expensive, but there's some good type 4 tags in Wyoming too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Chief J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsHunter View Post
    Have you considered spending your time hunting the same area you want to draw a bull tag in some day with a deer or antelope tag?

For your situation you could find the unit you want to hunt a bull in someday, then put in for cow tags in that unit every year as you build points. If you don't draw a cow tag then look at deer or antelope options in that unit. At the very least you should be able to get a doe tags for the unit you want to hunt.

I am a big believer in hunting the same unit every year vs jumping around and starting over. When you really get to know an area after spending a few weeks worth of time it's a whole lot more fun to hunt. Then when you draw your bull tag you will know the unit really well.
    'HPH,

Couldn't agree more; to say I was dissapointed I couldn't go back to that Sierra Madre unit in WY this yr was an understatement. In that hunt in Oct 2017 I learned so much. If we had a few more days, played bigger ball, I think we may have connected. Just learning that much was well worth it for me. We had bugling elk and saw some bulls; unfortunately, we had cow tags, and when we got into some opportunities on the cows; the timber was so thick where they were, we could not take an ethical shot without fear of hitting a bull. A snow storm forced us to change plans, we found new access points, learned some new areas in the units and saw several other species of animals for potential future hunts; but, some of that gets muted when you can't go back every year.

Maybe Colorado OTC is the answer for what I am looking for? It would give a chance at cutting my teeth in the same units for a few years. At least this year, I can still apply for a type 6 in WY early, and depending on how that goes, decide on my next move.

All good stuff guys; keep it coming; appreciate the perspectives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prerylyon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts
    mike eastmans book, elk hunting the west talks about this. you might get a copy of the book.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 16 Posts
    Here are my .02 cents... got this from the internet:

Arizona has special Over-the-Counter Nonpermit-tags for Elk.

These tags are very limited and are only offered for specific locations where the Arizona Game and Fish Department do not want elk. Why wouldn?t the state want elk? Because they are mostly on private land and they cause problems for local ranchers. The areas and times of the hunts are subject to change. These tags are best for locals that have knowledge of the area and elk movements, so unless you have a friend that has that local knowledge, it is best to leave these tags for the locals.

Good luck on you upcoming hunts this year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to prhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by prhunter View Post
    Here are my .02 cents... got this from the internet:

Arizona has special Over-the-Counter Nonpermit-tags for Elk.

These tags are very limited and are only offered for specific locations where the Arizona Game and Fish Department do not want elk. Why wouldn?t the state want elk? Because they are mostly on private land and they cause problems for local ranchers. The areas and times of the hunts are subject to change. These tags are best for locals that have knowledge of the area and elk movements, so unless you have a friend that has that local knowledge, it is best to leave these tags for the locals.

Good luck on you upcoming hunts this year.
    Agreed. Quite a few places have some of these super specific tags-maybe not exactly like these AZ tags are designated & issued-I know WY has some late migration cow hunts that can be very high success-but you need to be able to get on them quick, when they show up-also, some of those types hunts differ in character from backcountry hunts earlier in the season; but for a local, or someone with a solid local connection, they could provide an opportunity to get out after them without relying on a drawn tag. Good to know the range of options!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 717 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 323 Times in 70 Posts
    Lots of good info already.
    You can apply my resident plan for a non resident wanting to hunt every year. Time in the GMU is more important than anything so pick a herd/Gmu that you have a good chance of getting into every year. Example my back up hunting plan every year is a GMU that is OTC archery, has leftover 1st rifle bull tags every year and leftover 4th rifle cow tags every year. So regardless of what I draw I know every year I can get in there as a backup. I could make this my primary plan also.
    Other thing to consider is when can you hunt every year. That will most likely determine your app strategy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts
    I know it is hard to believe, but I know guys who shoot elk every year in an otc unit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I know it is hard to believe, but I know guys who shoot elk every year in an otc unit.
    No, I believe it. What's kept me away from Colorado is the cost of the tag since I am on a tight budget; over the $302 for a type 6 cow in WY. If I feel I need to do this every year to learn and experience it, I just may need to find the $ for that Colorado tag to put a priority on hunting every year. I know too there are sensible tags in CO, and some other states too, that can be draw with zero points for a guy that wants to hunt public, learn, and is not concerned about an antler score. I mean heck, I spent $22 on happy hour with the guys tonite qfter work. If I miss every other week, I can budget the money to pay for a CO bull/any sex tag.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 717 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 323 Times in 70 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa.......start selling things before talking that jibbersih of denying yourself of the brain mending time spent at happy hour!
    Just kidding....I'm of the same mindset. ...what ever it takes to get into the woods every Sept.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast